Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend 4 string vs. Jerry Jones longhorn

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassment zombie, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Has anyone had a good deal experience with both of these basses? I'm having a heck of a time getting one of these in my hands...

I'm in a quandry between picking up a Reverend 4 banger or a Jerry Jones 4 banger...obviously, the Jerry Jones is a slightly different beast due to the short scale and body shape (longhorn - I've played both vintage and new Dano DC style basses and really liked them...however, I've never played the Jerry Jones, nor have I been able to get my hands on a Reverend), but all things being equal (so to speak), how would you compare the two on the basis of:

a) tone
    b) fun
    c) construction
    d) 'the x factor'

And if you happen to have a good deal of experience with both, and inherently find appeal with these two types of instruments, which did you prefer, and why?

Both are in the same ballpark in regards to price, and this will be my 2nd bass to complement my '62 RI USA P bass...

Thanks in advance :cool:

edit - forgot to mention that I have played quite a few short scales and have no problems/beefs with them ... obviously, since I'm considering the longhorn :)

2. I can't speak to any experience with a Jerry Jones Longhorn, but I currently own two Reverend Rumblefish 4-strings, and I used to have both of the Danelectro reissues (Longhorn and DC). The Reverends blow the Danos away in construction, tone and playability.. it's not even a fair fight. And as far as "fun" and X-factor", you won't find a better bass than a Reverend. Get one, you won't regret it!

3. Thanks Dave :cool:

I figured as much in regards to Danos vs. Revs...

Anyone else with experience with both Revs and Jerry Jones? Would love to hear from ya :)

4. I have been tempted many times to buy a Jerry Jones, but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I've played them many times in stores, but I own a Reverend. The Reverend pickups are much hotter than the lipstick tubes in the Jones. If I remember correctly (it has been a couple of years), the Jones is a short scale while Reverends are not. The Jones is essentially a Danelectro that has been "corrected" while the Reverend is a whole new design that looks retro but really isn't. I think Reverend has one of the best, if not the best, necks in the industry. I agree with Dave that if you buy one, you won't be sorry. I think they represent the biggest bang for the buck from an American made instrument.

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I have 3 JJ Longhorn basses, and obviously I love them. Gig with them a lot(avg.14 gigs a month). They are well built, sound and look great, come with quality hard shell cases. When you call the company , you usually talk with Jerry himself.
    Questions?

6. 14 per month? Nice! I'd love to be gigging 14 times per year at this point :)

3 longhorns...interesting! Why 3?

How would you describe the necks?

Do you have to do adjustments/setups often ? (not including changes of strings...)

Do you play any regular scale basses on a semi-regular basis? Does playing a short scale on a freqeuent basis 'ruin' you in regards to long scale basses? (My main bass at the moment is a MIA '62 RI P)

How was your adjustment from long to short scale?

What type of strings do you play on your JJs? (I'm a fan of flats, but not a snob)...

Enough questions for ya? :p

Thanks in advance :)

7. Thanks, lo!

How would you compare the necks on the JJs with the Revs?

Aside from output, how would compare the tone of the two basses?
    (scale I knew about)

Since you've played both, simply some overall comparisons would be great...thanks :)

8. My Reverend is a JJ equipped XL model (series/parallel/single coil) which is no longer available. In the series mode, this is the fattest sounding bass in recent memory and it sounds very good in parallel mode (typical Jazz Bass wiring). The Jones pickups are less articulate and not as fat sounding but the Jones is a great sounding bass. The neck on the Reverend is much like a 70's Jazz Bass and it has rolled edges that make it feel broken-in from the get go. The necks on Jones basses have a flatter radius and feel a little less substantial but that is only my $.02. Both basses are high quality items. I prefer the Reverend because it has a 34" scale length, the neck feels more comfortable (and familiar to me) and the pickups are a little hotter and more articulate. YMMV.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own a Reverend and have played a few JJs. I also own vintage Danos and Fenders from the 60s.

I find the Reverend to be very much like a vintage Fender in terms of neck feel and overall tone. The only resemblance to a Dano is the body.

The JJ is just like a Dano except it's built to much higher standards. The tuners stay in tune, the bridge actually can be intonated, the fretwork is great, etc.

As far as build quality, I would say both brands are about equal (excellent).

Since you have a P-bass already, get the Reverend if you want something that sounds/feels similar and get the JJ if you want something really different.

10. Thanks for chiming in, Brian!

Which Reverend do you have? (4 bangers are what I'm considering...PJ or JJ)

Did you buy your Rev direct, or from someplace in Boston? (I live in Dravis Square) Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try a Reverend...I've had my eyes peeled for quite some time, and haven't come across one for sale anywhere in the area :(

11. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    3 longhorns...interesting! Why 3?
    I've always loved that shape, hollowbodies, and short-scales. One is a 4-string strung with roundwounds, another 4-string with flats, and then a BassVI. They are very light and balance well. DO NOT compare them to the Danos, new or old, they're so much better.

How would you describe the necks?
    Very stable with an almost flat radius.

Do you have to do adjustments/setups often ? (not including changes of strings...)
    Never. But the adjustments are very easy.

Do you play any regular scale basses on a semi-regular basis? Does playing a short scale on a freqeuent basis 'ruin' you in regards to long scale basses? (My main bass at the moment is a MIA '62 RI P)
    One of my bands is a Beatles trib/'60s band so I play a Hofner which is short-scale in the first set, a Ric which is long-scale, second set, and then the Longhorn or a Phantom for the third. Never any problems but I've been playing since 1976 and had long and shorts all along.

How was your adjustment from long to short scale?
    My first bass was a short-scale, my second a long-scale, no problem but some things are easier to play on one and some easier on the other. Sometimes I'll break a string on the Hofner and play the Ric while the tech is replacing the string on the Hofner, and it's tuff to play some of the more "busy" parts like "I Saw Her Standing There" on the long-scale Ric.

What type of strings do you play on your JJs? (I'm a fan of flats, but not a snob)...
    4-string RW-D'Addario, 4-string FW-GHS, BassVI-D'Addario Jerry Jones BassVI set