Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

reverend and grand prix brand basses,pleae help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, Mar 31, 2003.

1. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i have an oppertunity to get these basses,i never heard of tthem before till i played them on sunday,anybody out there got any feedback on them, ANYTHING WILL HELP! PLEASE:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I used a Rumblefish 5 for around a year as my main gigging bass while I researched for an all wooden bass.

It was excellent playability wise and had a nice B string. It's tone was excellent, but for me, I need a bass that has more preamp adjustability. The Reverend was passive.

If you like a really nice sounding J or J and P combination, I think this bass is a much much better made and sounding piece of gear than any passive fender out there and expecially used, are priced much better than a Fender. Only the Roscoe Beck is an equivalent passive sounding, but it's also $250-350 more new and probably close to that used.

I highly recommend any Reverend bass or guitar if your bag is vintage and you have some adjustability in your tone on your amp/eq.

LKaye

3. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    thanks larry,the bass i am interested in is a reverend 4 string,it kind of resembles a j/bass prototype,its all plastic/corien with 2 j-type p/ups.
    it has a great maple neck with a maple frett-board,its nice and light weighing in at 6 lbs give or take,i really like the sound ,its similar to a j/bass with mutes on it or maybe even flatwound strings on a j/bass,really unique sounding axe,like nothing i've ever heard, how are their durability? like will you think they can become a vintage axe?end up lasting a couple 2 or 3 decades becoming better with age,or if you think its a bass that will last 5-10 yrs then self destruct in the corner of my room,
    i like basses that "AGE" well,ones that will get better with age and "mature" and sound better with time. not degrade and become useless as tats on a bull(LOL LOL)

4. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    get straplocks immediately!!! I dropped my Reverend and had to send it back to Joe Naylor to get it fixed. The body and binding cracked.

Once I got it back it sounded and played fine as it did when I bought it.

L

5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    don't know anything about grand prix, but i gush over the reverend rumblefish all the time! have a 4 and a 5, love the 4, not the 5, primarily due to not liking 5's--but i liked the 4 so much i got a 5 anyways! I've been thumping for 30 years and own 4 other basses, but i always turn to the 'fish:D