reverend and grand prix brand basses,pleae help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, Mar 31, 2003.

1. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i have an oppertunity to get these basses,i never heard of tthem before till i played them on sunday,anybody out there got any feedback on them, ANYTHING WILL HELP! PLEASE:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I used a Rumblefish 5 for around a year as my main gigging bass while I researched for an all wooden bass.

It was excellent playability wise and had a nice B string. It's tone was excellent, but for me, I need a bass that has more preamp adjustability. The Reverend was passive.

If you like a really nice sounding J or J and P combination, I think this bass is a much much better made and sounding piece of gear than any passive fender out there and expecially used, are priced much better than a Fender. Only the Roscoe Beck is an equivalent passive sounding, but it's also $250-350 more new and probably close to that used.

I highly recommend any Reverend bass or guitar if your bag is vintage and you have some adjustability in your tone on your amp/eq.

LKaye

3. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    thanks larry,the bass i am interested in is a reverend 4 string,it kind of resembles a j/bass prototype,its all plastic/corien with 2 j-type p/ups.
    it has a great maple neck with a maple frett-board,its nice and light weighing in at 6 lbs give or take,i really like the sound ,its similar to a j/bass with mutes on it or maybe even flatwound strings on a j/bass,really unique sounding axe,like nothing i've ever heard, how are their durability? like will you think they can become a vintage axe?end up lasting a couple 2 or 3 decades becoming better with age,or if you think its a bass that will last 5-10 yrs then self destruct in the corner of my room,
    i like basses that "AGE" well,ones that will get better with age and "mature" and sound better with time. not degrade and become useless as tats on a bull(LOL LOL)

4. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    get straplocks immediately!!! I dropped my Reverend and had to send it back to Joe Naylor to get it fixed. The body and binding cracked.

Once I got it back it sounded and played fine as it did when I bought it.

L

5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    don't know anything about grand prix, but i gush over the reverend rumblefish all the time! have a 4 and a 5, love the 4, not the 5, primarily due to not liking 5's--but i liked the 4 so much i got a 5 anyways! I've been thumping for 30 years and own 4 other basses, but i always turn to the 'fish:D