1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reverend Bass- Looking for Brad Houser 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tdbradley, Jan 25, 2004.

1. tdbradley

tdbradley Terry "T-Bone" Bradley

Mar 23, 2003
    Dearborn, MI USA 48124
    Anyone thinking about selling a Reverend Brad Houser 5-String?

I want to buy a Brad Houser 5 string. But I do want to compare it to a Reverend Rumblefish.
    Want do you think the difference is between the two in sound?

Thanks,
    Terry Bradley

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I have a Rumblefish 4 and a Brad Houser. Here are few quick comparisons...

The Fish has a really mellow J type sound. By mellow, I mean it sounds like an old J that has been played and played and played and just keeps sounding better and better.

On the other hand, the Houser has a more aggressive sound. It is true, that with the mini-switches one can switch each pickup to single coil and get pretty much a the same J sound as a Fish. The difference is when the pickups are in humbucking mode, either series or parallel. Both are more powerfull that the single coil mode and quite a bit deeper (though, do not think EB-O sound...more like the Schaller "Double J's" that Kramer used to use.)

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I recently went a to guitar show in Dearborn(near Detroit), and of coarse Reverend was there, and i spent quite some time on a Brad Houser 5. Personally i think it's perfect. I would have bought it, if it were a 4 string. It's got a really tight solid tone. I really couldn't stop playing it, it just sounded so good. It was $800 at the show, you could probably get one at the website, www.reverenddirect.com

4. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    Last week I had the opportunity to play a Mike Lull MV5, Sadowsky Vintage 5 with a PJ pickups and a Reverend Brad Houser 5. They were all great but the Reverend blew me away. This is the most bang for the buck!!! My Fender RB 5 is for sale because I want a Reverend BH 5. The tone and the neck were awesome.