Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend Bass- Looking for Brad Houser 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tdbradley, Jan 25, 2004.

1. tdbradley

tdbradley Terry "T-Bone" Bradley

Mar 23, 2003
    Dearborn, MI USA 48124
    Anyone thinking about selling a Reverend Brad Houser 5-String?

I want to buy a Brad Houser 5 string. But I do want to compare it to a Reverend Rumblefish.
    Want do you think the difference is between the two in sound?

Thanks,
    Terry Bradley

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I have a Rumblefish 4 and a Brad Houser. Here are few quick comparisons...

The Fish has a really mellow J type sound. By mellow, I mean it sounds like an old J that has been played and played and played and just keeps sounding better and better.

On the other hand, the Houser has a more aggressive sound. It is true, that with the mini-switches one can switch each pickup to single coil and get pretty much a the same J sound as a Fish. The difference is when the pickups are in humbucking mode, either series or parallel. Both are more powerfull that the single coil mode and quite a bit deeper (though, do not think EB-O sound...more like the Schaller "Double J's" that Kramer used to use.)

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I recently went a to guitar show in Dearborn(near Detroit), and of coarse Reverend was there, and i spent quite some time on a Brad Houser 5. Personally i think it's perfect. I would have bought it, if it were a 4 string. It's got a really tight solid tone. I really couldn't stop playing it, it just sounded so good. It was $800 at the show, you could probably get one at the website, www.reverenddirect.com

4. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    Last week I had the opportunity to play a Mike Lull MV5, Sadowsky Vintage 5 with a PJ pickups and a Reverend Brad Houser 5. They were all great but the Reverend blew me away. This is the most bang for the buck!!! My Fender RB 5 is for sale because I want a Reverend BH 5. The tone and the neck were awesome.