Reverend Basses Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by savagelucy, Mar 7, 2003.

1. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Hey everybody,

I've been thinking about buying a Reverend Rumblefish 5 or a Brad Houser Sig as my first 5 string. I can't find any information on them other than the website.
    Does anyone own either of these basses?
    Whats your opinion on them? Good tone? Tight B string? Are they worth the money?

Any input is great.

2. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I've also had some interest those basses. I would love to play one. I have heard they had a great tone. I think they are priced really reasonable.
  3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Assuming you want a traditional tone, those basses are supposed to DELIVER! They have a good reputation, and they have always interested me, partly because they really are quite reasonabley priced. I have never played one, but I would love to.
  4. I've had three--two Rumblefish 5L's and one Brad Houser 5. All were great--nice tone, unique design, good feel. Hard to beat for the money, as long as you dig the looks.
  5. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    There's still a few more things I want to know,

How well do they balance on a strap?

The body design maes them seem, to me, fragile. Is this the case?

What's the deal with that metal thing on the top of the body?
  6. i can't speak for the 5 string, but my XL balances great. i was expecting a bit of neck dive due to the shorter horn and the light body, but there's less neck dive than a fender IMO.

as long as you don't smack it around, the body will hold up fine. i jump around onstage with no problems. the center block is a big piece of solid wood, after all. it's not flimsy.

the metal thing is an armrest, so your arm's touching a rounded edge rather than a right angle. it can feel odd when playing with a pick, but i don't find it uncomfortable. playing fingerstyle you can hardly feel it.
  7. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    thanks dancehall,

I'm now thinking seriously about getting the Brad Houser Sig. That think looks like it kills.

My brother saw me on the Reverend website this morning, and now he wants to buy a Slingshot. Only problem is he's left-handed. :p
  8. a red/maple slingshot is at the top of my to-buy list, too. i love me some p90s.
  9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    the houser 5 was incredible! regardless of cost it was a fine bass!!! VERY tight B... :D
  10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    the looks may deter some, but then again lots of people buy rics :spit: :eek: :D
  11. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I bought a Houser model last Fall. If you're really interested, you might want to wait for a demo model to be advertsise on the Revered Website -- my purchase had a nice discount applied to it for an instument that was like new.

Anyway, I love this bass. It's's not a great slapping bass, and there is a wee bit o' the old neckdive --what else would you expect from a semi-hollow, composite body). For traditional bluse/funk/jazz fingerstyle playing, it's been great!
  12. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    How much does the Brad Houser five weigh?

The pickups and electronics look similar to the Fender Roscoe Beck Sig Bass to me. Do they sound at all alike?
  13. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I just did a trade a L-2000 for a Rumblefish 4 and some cash (I got the cash) I should be getting it on monday and am going to put TI Flats on it .
    I have been jones's for one of these for a while .
  14. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I had a rumblefish five for a few weeks. The neck is really thick... I loved the way it sounded and looked.... but hated the way it played.
  15. I briefly owned a Reverend 5 and it was killer. Only reason I parted with it is because I'm a 4-string player at heart. It had an awesome B string and that "piano-like" tone everyone talks about. I still have my Reverend 4-string, #47, and I'll never give it up.
  16. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I have a Brad Houser. It weighs about 9lbs and has a pretty average balance. I'm a big fan of these basses; especially for the money. This bass would still be a good deal even if it cost a couple of hundred bucks more.

I'm using it on 60 and 70's R&B (w/ foam stuffed under the bridge and all) and it works wonderfully. It delivers a great vintage Jazz fingerstyle tone.

If you're looking for something more modern or "slapable", the Reverend's probably aren't the right choice.

I hope that is helpful.
  17. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    I've had a Rev 5 for two years now, you get:
    Light weight
    great fingerstyle tone(great growl, and bite with a pick)
    great setup from factory

Bad things:
    you've got to like the retro looks.
    not a slapin bass

The main "SIN" of these bassed is that they don't have a killin' wood top to go gaga over. If they did they'd be a lot more money too.

My advice is to have one in your aresenal. You won't be diapointed, ESPECIALLY for the money!:D
  18. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Thanks for the replies poeple!

I think i'm going to get a Rumblefish 4, instead of the Brad Houser, and get a good 5-string, with good slap tone.

But first I need a new rig and a car. :p
  19. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    It's lighter than any other 5-string I've ever strapped on, but I don't know about the actual weight. Never played or heard a Roscoe Beck, either. (Sorry!)
  20. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i got the exact same bass--same colors, old control configuration. I've got tl flats on it and Oh My!

I also have a 5XL which i'm not too wild about--but only due to it being a 5 string--i don't like the 5, but i love the 'fish. IMHO--you can't go wrong unless you don't like the style. I happen to think it's one of the few truly unique and innovative instruments out there!:D