Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dub56, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    I've noticed this odd bass on a local stores website..
    [​IMG]
    It says "Reverend Rumblefish 5 string" and that's about it. I'm going to the store tomorrow and I'll probably try it. I read some reviews on harmony central and some say the sound.. improved off of vintage fender? I find that hard to believe, but I'm curious to see if anyone has any experience or knowledge about these.

And by the way, they do have a site, but no basses are listed on there.

2. Do a search. They're really great basses. I have the four-string version of the one in your pic. It's easily the best-playing bass I've ever held.

The sound is not necessarily "improved" over a Fender although it can be vintage-ish. High output, mid-heavy, lots of attack.

3. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Go over there and play it. If you like it and its in good condition buy it. Pay careful attention to the neck, it should feel real comfy. 525 is a good price and you will be able to sell for that price and maybe a little more if you decide you don't want it.

4. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    Hm. this is kinda a tough position for me. If I do happen to fall in love with this thing, I'm not sure how I'd get it. I have about 250 dollars and maybe a little more I'm willing to spend, and my birthday is coming up, and that would give me way enough for it. I might also sell my wah to them. The problem is, I was planning on buying a new guitar amp, and a guitar wah. I've got 2 basses, and a nice bass amp. I don't need a new bass, or a new guitar amp or wah. If I bought this bass, that means no guitar amp.

5. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The Reverend basses were discontinued in Sept of 2004 but they still produce guitars - that's why they aren't on the site. I own a 4 string and have been playing it on gigs lately and like it quite a bit. They are getting rare (I think only 2 have come up on Ebay in the last couple of months) so I recommend you get it if you can.

Tony Noriega, Tampa

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    If you do fall in love with it, please do me a favor and don't get it until next week. I'm going to be in town Saturday and would like to check it out (though I just got a 'ray so I'm in no position to buy).

7. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Is it an optical illusion or are the pickups on the 5L closer to each together than on the 4 bangers?

8. they are. probably makes for a nice tight B sound.

9. Corwin

Corwin

May 8, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Hey, if you don't want it, let me know. I'll buy the hell out of that thing. Even if the gold pickguard is a bit ugly.

10. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    I'm gonna go look tomorrow and see if I like it. If I like it enough, I'll probably try to buy it soon. I'll let you guys know.

11. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Errrrrr....I feel a little badly about this, but I was surfing my usual spots, looking for something to spend some money on, and....well, to the best of my knowledge, I have this feeling that the Fish in question is currently no longer available for sale.

Had I seen this thread first....well, I don't know, I think I still would have bought it, actually.

I just would have said, "Boys, if you have the money, speak now. If not, Camp Bovine needs a new Fish."

Sorry!

12. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    WHEW! are you sure? Because that just saved me a lot of trouble... I almost wish I hadn't seen it in the first place.

13. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Jack, is your extra money a result of you getting rid of the neck on a stick? I mean you just got rid of that Houser...you're crazy...

14. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    Thanks for letting me know it's not available anymore.
    Shame though, I would've liked to play it.

15. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Yep, the neck on a stick went fast and local to a guy with cash. I guess they're hard to find? Something like that.

And yes, I was an idiot for offing that Houser, but you know what? I kind of liked the green Fish (the 5L) better, so.....

Dub, think of me as a public service kind of guy. Heh heh.

16. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I just had that exact bass stolen from me two weeks ago. I miss it even more now...

17. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Curses!

18. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    I will try, and it will be difficult, to not gloat.

19. There's a Reverend 4-string on eBay right now, nice baby blue with a maple fretboard. It's local to me, too, but I've gotta pass on this one. Someone grab it!

20. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    This bass sucks. Be glad I saved you from all this trouble. I hate this bass. I will never play it.

[​IMG]

Okay, okay, it DID need a setup.