Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigwan, May 9, 2002.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi guys,

I've heard alot of people say that Reverend basses are great - but as far as I know they aren't available in the UK...

Anybody out there got one - what do they sound like? I've heard they compare to Fenders soundwise - like a hollowbody Jazz?

I like the look of the Brad H. 5... And it's not particularly expensive either... What do you guys think of them?

Cheers

Ian

2. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    ...what am I talking about - they went factory direct a while back didn't they! So they are available in the UK.....if you don't mind buying before trying.....

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i think that i could buy one if the import taxes and shipping fee are not too high!

4. and then bump my thread about the mp3 and tell me what you think, fer pete's sake. i want some feedback!

about the fender jazz comparison - i'd say it's similar but more powerful, fuller sounding, punchier.

but you can't get a reverend because my name's ian too and if there are two reverend players on TB named ian then WORLDS WILL BE COLLIDING. DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS! I HAVE TO GO TAKE MY MEDICATION.

5. I'm a Rumblefish XL player myself and I would echo the previous estimation of their sound. My main bass for 10+ years was a '72 Jazz Bass and I still play a fretless MIJ Jazz Bass but the Reverend sounds better than either. I can make it sound like a Jazz Bass, a P-Bass, a Gibson EB-0 or EB-2 or like a piano player's left hand. It is light compared to a Fender and the neck is absolutely perfect...it feels like a broken-in Fender neck.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    let put the thing in this words:

If I were in the USA i'd have a Reverend for sure. but i live in italy where Reverend are not available. i hope that they will answer my E-mail...

7. Since Reverend now sells factory direct rather than through a dealer network, doesn't that mean less import taxes for those of you in Europe? I remember reading a thread someplace where a fellow from Finland was inquiring about Carvin instruments. The understanding I got was that the import taxes were substantially lower because Carvin sells factory direct. Of course, this may have only applied to Finland or I may have completely misunderstood (or forgotten!) the thread.

8. Speaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakin' of which. I like your song, though I had trouble hearing some of it (bad production quality/my comp speakers?). What I heard I liked. Definately sounds Weezer-ish, but I'd go to one of your gigs.....if I had the time or the money....*sighs at RI*

9. it's live, so you get what ya get with sound quality, but thanks for listening.

you don't exactly have to have that much money to see us though: we've played seven gigs and haven't seen dime one! lousy philanthropy :D

10. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Unfortunately the import duties have nothing to do with Reverend actually selling direct - import duties (to the UK anyway) are calculated on the value of whatever is being imported and what import category it falls into.... The strange thing is that it even applies if the item is second hand/used - I bet that makes ebay a pain in the ass for alot of people!!!

Going factory direct has lowered Reverends prices, which in turn lowers the import duty, but if they were still the same price as before, then Factory direct would make no difference to the import duty at all - if it did there'd be more people in the UK playing Carvins and Reverends...

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    that's true. here in italy we have to add the 25% of the whole price of the item imported. so if a bass is $1000 we pay $1250 plus shipping cost. it could be great if these factory direct could do something to make things better. here no reverend basses around, but i'm sure that if they could make easier the process of ordering one... a lot of people could see, play and order these intruments!