Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend Brad Houser 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B-flat?, May 16, 2004.

1. B-flat?

B-flat?

May 16, 2004
    Portland, TX
    I looking to buy a new bass, what can you tell me about Reverend Brad Houser 5 bass? Are they a good buy? How about their sound?

2. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    If you like thick bootey shakin old school tone the Reverend Brad Houser 5 is an excellent choice. It's got one of the best B stings in all of bassdom. Nice and tight,no flub at all. With round wound strings it has serious growl or piano mellow. With flats you get Jamerson to McCartney. Most of all you don't have to deal with battery replacement like on a 3 band active eq hi fi hippy sandwich :smug: Well any way this is the real deal with awesome tone and an amazing neck that feels like it's been broken in over a few decades. They also do one of the best set ups in the biz so you don't have to pay someone else for it. If you want glassy plinky highs get something battery powered. If you want Bass this is it.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

3. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
  4. B-flat?

B-flat?

May 16, 2004
    Portland, TX
    Rezdog
    Thanks for the feedback! Glassy highs? I thought this was the Bass forum, :D as a old school P-bass player I never understood that (my bass always had flats and foam in the ashtray).
    How close to a P-bass sound can you get from a Brad 5?

B-flat?

5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    B-flat,

For the money, you absolutely cannot beat the BH5. Mine shares gig time w/ my collection of Foderas and NYBW's consistently. It's great for old school, R&B and countless other styles. It's not a slapper IMO, but for fingerstyle, it's the real dea.

6. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Does the BH5 do anything that the other reverend models can't? I'm not too hip on playing a 5 string.

7. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    B-flat you can get purtty close to a P, but with a little air. The only diff will be that they won't see one in your hands.
    bino,this is the first 5 I've actually owned. I tried many other brands out, but alot of them had flubby B strings or other things I couldn't get past.Oh ya,the B is bowel shaking. The neck is a bit wide near the heal, but the way they made it makes it easy to get around on. And to tell you the truth I didn't think I'd be able to handle it, due to an old motorcycle injury, but I can with no problem. You can also get the sounds of the other Reverends but it does have one of it's own when you click all the pups on full throttle...look out!
    Rezdog