Reverend has a new believer!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by misterk73, Sep 18, 2002.

1. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I've been away for awhile, but had to tear myself away from the textbooks long enough to share my joy with some other people who care about silly stuff like bass guitars.

A few weeks back I snatched up a demo Brad Houser 5-string from Reverend during their demo blowout. What a fine bass! I got it for $200 below Reverend's direct price, but it would have been a bargain at almost any cost.

The top is "lava swirl," which I think they may have (temporarily?) taken out of production. Although it's not quite as metallic as I'd hoped, she looks sweet -- and plays even sweeter, with a very tight B and nice, wide string spacing. The factory setup was near perfect, and I was able to put her to good use right out of the box.

The bass is very light, due to it being semi-hollow and using alternative materials. There's some slight neck dive, but nothing a slight shoulder strap adjustment doesn't fix. The fretwork and construction is flawless to my amateur eye.

And the sound! My god, she's got balls -- that sounds a little conflicted, doesn't it? -- incredible fundamental, even with two-year-old flats! Everyone in my band is in love with this bass just as much as I am -- it sounds so good that my guitar player has been accusing me of playing entirely new parts (which I'm not, excepting the occaisional flourish)!

Anyway, I'll stop testifying now. But if anyone out there is looking for a modern bass with a distinctly old-school/retro vibe, Reverend may be the ticket...

Special thanks to funkycarnivore, who helped push me over the edge with some comments in an old thread ("Reverend, Fender, and Jazz-like fivers," I think). The Houser isn't very jazz-like, but it's exactly what I was looking for...
  2. Terrific! Glad to hear it worked out for you. I've still got my Houser 5 and my 'Fish 5L and I love em both. Welcome to the family!
  3. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Whats the string spacing on the House and 5L funky? :)
  4. yase. would love to get my hands on a revvie fiver someday...
  5. Congrats, lushfreak! Those Housers look like awesome basses. I've had my Rumblefish 4-string for almost 4 years now, and it's still an absolute killer. Welcome to the club!
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i am a believer even if i have necer seen a Reverend in person, i love the Brad houser for bass and i really love to have a Goblin guitar amp and a slingshot guitar

but with this direct thing here in italy we can't have Reverend. i mailed them and have had no reply:(
  7. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I would try phoning them if you can handle the cost of an international call. I talked to them several times over the phone and they were responsive and helpful. Good luck!
  8. Hallelujah...another convert! If you think you like it now, just wait because it'll grow on you. I love my Rumblefish XL. Congratulations on a great score.
  9. String spacing at bridge:

Oh, and I should mention that I love my Reverend Rumblefish 4-string, and I'd like to get a Houser sig at some point in the future.:)
  10. I've never played or even seen any Reverends in the flesh, er, wood, but, from a lot of raves I've read here over the last two years I'm getting very interested in these guys.

Then they started advertising in Bass Player magazine a few months ago and that really peaked my interest. But, what's with this order direct thing ? Is this the only place you can get them, or are they still in stores?

Mike J.
  11. If you know which store(s) carried them when they were sold in stores, there may be some NOS pieces available. My buddy just bought a NOS guitar from a former dealer here in Minnesota. As of (I think) April of this year, they went to selling direct and did away with the dealer network. I can't speak for the 5 strings, but necks on the 4's feel like broken-in Jazz Bass necks (rolled edges) and they sound great.
  12. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Welcome indeed! Another convert! Let's get ready to Rrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumble! (I can't resist saying that!) :D
  13. Dagnabbit, Lushfreak!

I was just about to buy that bass from Reverend when you snapped it up -- they had sent me jpegs and everything. . .

Oh, well, I'm glad it went to a good home.

And my wife is glad it went to a good home that wasn't _my_ good home!
  14. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Sorry about that, Jordan. I'd actually called about it before the blowout sale (at the time they were "only" doing $50 below cost with free shipping, so I declined). Don't worry, I'll take very good care of it!

15. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Oh now I think you guys have gone and done it. I've been looking at these Brad Houser 5's for some time and now I'm right on the edge
    Must...... Resist......... temp....ta.....tion.