Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Folmeister, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Hi, Bass Gods!
    I am gassing for a reverend P/J in a big way, but my hands are so screwed up from carpal tunnel that I can't handle "chunky" or thick necks for any length of time. I can handle a Sterling and a Geddy Lee ultraslim neck, but I fear even my Stingray is now too much to hold on to. I need a Reverend four-string player to tell me how big the neck is on their bass. Are they wide, deep, or what? Can you compare one to the above necks?

Thanks!!

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    My Reverend 4 neck feels a lot like the neck on my '62 Reissure Jazz, only better. It is a fairly small neck that feels "broken in" new.

3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I would compare the neck to my Sterling. They aren't chunky at all and are easy to get around on. If you like a Sterling the Reverend should suit you.

4. The key to that broken-in feeling is the rolled fingerboard egdes. I had Greg Curbow take exact measurements of my Reverend's neck for the J-bass he made me, but I forgot to tell him to roll the edges, and it doesn't feel the same. My fretting hand gets tired more quickly on the Curbow. The Reverend has the best-feeling neck I've ever played.

5. second that. i'm really spoiled for those rolled edges now. last time i picked up a stingray in GC i thought "geez, this neck feels sharp!"

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Thanks, Folks!
    Your comments are very helpful! I think I will order mine this week.