1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reverend P Bass Pups in my Fury

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by WoodyG3, Oct 25, 2006.

1. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I just picked up a used Peavey Fury P-style bass, and when I saw the goofy wiring job someone had done, and some serious corrosion in the pickups, I decided to go with totally new pots, wiring and pups. After seeing the positive feedback on the Reverend P pickups here at good old Talkbass, I ordered an 8.7K set for $18, shipping included.

My luthier wired her up, gave her a set up, and I got the bass on Saturday. So, I've had a few days of playing, including one rehearsal, and I thought I'd post my thoughts.

Well, I've got to say I'm impressed! The Reverend pickups can give a real buttery, warm sound, yet plenty of attitude and a nice bottom end. The tone knob is QUITE responsive with these pickups, and you can get knife sharp highs all the way down to a funky fuzz bomb low end. These pickups are also quite responsive to playing touch, and it's easy to get different sounds with even subtle differences in technique. This is no "one sound fits all" P-bass like the ones some people complain about.

When I pick up one of my Jazz basses after playing the new P, I think, my, how well behaved these Jazz basses are! Yes, these Reverends are a little aggressive. But, having said that, the rich low end and warmth of sound fits slow ballads and country or even acoustic stuff just fine. Again, it's all in the touch, and these pickups are really responsive to your playing style.

So, I highly recommend these Reverend P-style pickups if you are looking for a versatile replacement for your p-Bass. Especially for $18 with shipping. I don't know how many of these pickups Reverend has left in stock, but if you have a feeling you want to try them, grab 'em now. I mean, for $18, how can you go wrong?

BTW, it's a crying shame that Reverend no longer makes basses!

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Snackbandit might be interested in reading this review.

Yes, it's too bad Reverend no longer makes basses. The ones I've played were great sounding instruments with high quality workmanship.

3. snackbandit

snackbandit

May 14, 2006
    San Diego
    I'll be placing my order tommorow...err today, man I need some sleep :eek: