Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend quits making basses...???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. i had heard they weren't going to make any more brad houser 5 strings. perhaps there's some confusion on the part of the person who informed you in the previous thread?

robb.

3. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I hope not, but I can see it happening as they don't sell too many. Most people are turned off by the looks.

It would suck big time, Reverends are such great instruments but get dismissed because of their looks. I think Reverend as a company would benefit from an additional body style/styling.

4. I don't see anything on their website or on the "Reverend Congregation" discussion board that leads me to think they're discontinuing their basses.

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    That could be, and I don't know the poster in the previous thread...I did email Reverend and ask...

6. I'd be surprised if Joe would discontinue them without posting on the Reverend Congregation board. Normally he posts something there.

7. jeez, that would be a crime. i still want another one. or two.

8. Really! They're like salted peanuts or potato chips...one isn't enough.

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    it would be a pity. my 'Fish is a GREAT SOUNDING bass. too bad i live in italy where they are so rare. if iwere in usa i would tested the PJ too.

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Seeing as how I don't have a p/j of any sort in my hoard, if I find I like the 'fish as well as you fish-o-philes do, I could see adding a RRF p/j...

As a post script to this all, being a fretless fan, I emailed customer service and inquired about having mine converted to fretless, and they quoted me a price of ~$150 for the job. I asked if I couldn't just order a fretless neck (oughta be simple enough, right? less work for someone) and they said the only way they'd do it is to de-fret my neck. Kind of a bummer, as i'm an anti-fan of lined fretless necks. But at least fretless is an option. Maybe it'd be different if I were ordering a new instrument...???

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Your Fish was the surprise hit of the DC/VA/MD get-together last Sunday. Both Phil and I will also be bummed if Reverend stops making basses. But I'll be bummed if they stop making the BH5 because that's the one I'm interested in.

12. no, they've never made fretless basses. i guess the only thing to do would be to take it to a luthier and have him copy the neck dimensions for a new fretless neck.

13. Somebody say it ain't so!!!

14. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    +1

I've been considering a rumblefish as my first semi-hollow, but good Lord are they ugly!!!!!!!!!

15. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I'll ask my guitar player at rehearsal tonight. He works part time for Reverend

16. -1

i have always thought them quite cool. unique, but not in a "she's got a good personality" sort of way.

robb.

17. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Read it and weep; here's their response:

Yes, it is true. We have not made a formal announcement yet. We may stop
    taking bass orders sometime within 8 weeks.

We do not sell enough basses to justify continued production, purchasing of
    parts and advertising. We prefer to relocate those resources towards guitar
    and amplifier promotion and production.

Thanks,

Joe Naylor
    586-775-1025
    www.reverendguitars.com

Reverend Musical Instruments
    27300 Gloede, Unit D
    Warren, Michigan 48088
    USA

18. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

That's too bad. On one hand I'm glad I have my 2 PJs. On the other I'm sad that they won't be available any more and no new models, ever. I'll just have to guard them jealously now, I guess.

19. this SUCKS. i just bought a car, i have no money for another one. and now i'll probably be too nervous about damaging my 'collector's item' to make the best use of it.

20. thats a damn shame! i'd love to check one of these babies out! Personally, I tihnk they are really cool looking basses, would look good with my G3. :)

too bad about price and that i'm not sure if I could get my sound from it... :(