Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend Rumblefish - alternative tuners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Nov 1, 2004.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Well I finally found a Rumblefish that I liked the appearance of, so I jumped on it and it'll get here later in the week. The only thing I dislike about the way the instrument looks is the modern looking tuning keys. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind lingers a memory of a Reverend owner on TB that installed the Fender type tuners.......my hope is that someone can hook me up with the source. Many thanks!!

Tony Noriega
    Tampa

2. The brad houser 5 string Reverend uses Hipshot ultralite tuners. Check out the pics of it on the reverend website to see if you like them...

3. Also...congrats on the bass. I own a rumblefish J-J and a BH5. Rockin' basses...

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Funny you should mention Hipshot Ultralites....I'm putting sets on my Warwick and Modulus this evening. Best upgrade I can think of!

Good luck!

Riis

5. I think Hipshot Ultralites were an option at one time. You can always call Joe and make sure they'll fit (I'm assuming you want the elephant-ear style). The stock tuners, by the way, are excellent as far as tuning stability is concerned but IMHO the elephant-ear would look better (although I haven't installed a set on mine...yet). I would be reluctant to install them if it required drilling new holes since the Romblefish is no longer being produced.

6. tonynoriega

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I agree that I might regret putting holes in the headstock for new tuners. With the production stopping on the basses, they may grow in value, and I certainly wouldn't want to jeopardize it's worth. Thanks to all of you for your advice: I wrote an email to the people at Hipshot. By the way, do you Rumblefish players use roundwound or flats on your basses (or something else)?

Tony Noriega, Tampa

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've been wanting to do this on my Modulus as well, but I've been afraid of trying to put screws into the carbon fiber. Please let me know how it goes after you've done it.

8. The Hipshot tuners require a 9/16" hole which is the same as the Gotoh tuners that come stock. You can get them from Stewart MacDonald. The screw hole should be in the same position as well.

9. I use Ernie Ball roundwounds on mine. To me, the Rumblefish's aggressive sound just demands rounds, especially for rock. I tried a set of TI Jazz Flats on one of my 'Fish, and I just didn't like 'em on that bass.
    Congrats on a great acquisition. Now, where are the pics, man?!? What color is your bass and is it an early one?

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The Hipshot "set" screws are slightly larger in diameter. Lube 'em with a little Ivory soap and you should be good to go. A set of 5 Ultralites will set you back ~$135.00. The project went well.

Riis

11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I use DR Sunbeams- nickel rounds, round core, 45-65-80-100. They really do it for me. :hyper: Congrats on your 'fish!

12. I'm with Dave. I tried TI flats on mine and it sounded weak and had little definition. Rounds are the way to go.

13. tonynoriega

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I just bought it on ebay with 'buy it now' yesterday, so I don't have photos. If you go on ebay you can see it under completed auctions. It's black with a rosewood board and it was 595.00 and is listed as in excellent condition. Also came with the hard case which looks very unconventional.

Thanks for the heads up on the strings......I have a number of sets of rotosounds for my '66 jazz, so I'll probably wind a set of those to see what I get.

Tony in Tampa

14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Same here. Great combination!

15. I played that bass a couple of weeks ago. The store that listed it is about 10 minutes from my house. You got a good one, man!

16. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    resurrecting this thread. I believe my 'fish fell sideways in my gig bag a impacted end-on on the A and E tuners--net effect is the white plastic spacer/bushing that's between the key and the body broke. In the pic, the 2 left tuners are impacted, the right one is normal. Anyone ever have this problem? just ordered a new set of Gotoh tuners to replace them.

Attached Files:

17. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    got a new set of Gotoh's from Stew-Mac for around $50--quick replacement install--new posts are longer and larger in diameter, but no modifications were required. 100% happy.:)