Reverend Rumblefish -- JJ or PJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FretlessFatty, Oct 15, 2018.

1. FretlessFatty

FretlessFatty

Nov 23, 2012
    So... I have a Reverend Decision, which I really love. It's my number 1 gigging bass now. And I have a Fender Jazz which I also quite enjoy. But I haven't stopped jonesing and GAS-ing for a Rumblefish for 20 years!!! I have a "big birthday" coming up, and it might be time to treat myself.

I have leads on a JJ and a PJ. Any thoughts on which one to get? In theory, the PJ will be more like my Decision, and the JJ more like my Jazz... But anything I should know about the differences? I won't be able to try either first, sadly. It will be a mail order thing.

pfern likes this.
  2. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

100_1208_zps9xj6ituv.jpg

pfern, Ron Prince, MattZilla and 3 others like this.
  3. FretlessFatty

FretlessFatty

Nov 23, 2012
    That's a beauty.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Was something left out, do you currently have a P and a J?

5. FretlessFatty

FretlessFatty

Nov 23, 2012
    I have a j... and a Decision, which is pj-like.

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea, get the PJ. If you jones for the pure J thing you’ve got it covered.

Andre678 and FretlessFatty like this.
  7. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Thanks! It's a v.1 with the thinner body, skunk neck and KA pickups.

Whichever model you choose, expect to be impressed! :thumbsup:

FretlessFatty likes this.
  8. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    I had a JJ Rumblefish for a couple of years. I've never owned a Jazz Bass, but the Reverend sounded absolutely massive. If it hadn't been for the skinny Jazz neck, there's no way I'd have ever let it go. :crying: I also own two traditional solid-body PJs, and the Rumblefish could hold its own with either of them.

i-JVTbTcb-X4.jpg

9. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

I owned a boatload of Rumblefish and I recommend the JJ. As stated above, they sound massive. I had one of the PJs and it sounded great, but there's something about that dual J.

jumbodbassman and FretlessFatty like this.
  10. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    In my opinion, the PJ give you more versatility. I had a PJ Decision and found that I used the P most of the time for its big, fat tone.

11. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I love those. Will probably be my next bass. I like the J bass pickup style. Which ever one you get I'm sure you will enjoy it for years to come. Congrats!!

12. FretlessFatty

FretlessFatty

Nov 23, 2012
    I know what you mean... On my Decision bass, I tend to use the P pick up more too. But my usual experience with PJ bass guitars is that the P pick up is powerful, and the J pick up is a little bit weaker. I’m also a little bit underwhelmed with my Fender jazz bass (MIM), so I think I might be leaning JJ. I will probably sell the MIM jazz.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  13. pellomoco14

pellomoco14

Mar 2, 2017
    Newport, OR
    I normaly default to pj over jj but I havent played a rumblefish. I would take the word of experience over my intuition in this case.

Dave Siff and FretlessFatty like this.
  14. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    I have two each of the JJ and PJ configurations. The funny thing is that they all sound different. But one of the PJ's is my go to here since I learn more toward a traditional (vintage?) sound. With just the P active, it's pretty much like a hot Fender P. There weren't many of the PJ's made...only 106 if I recall correctly.

15. JerryOh

JerryOh

Aug 15, 2018
    The Alter Kakers use Reverend and they sound great

16. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    I currently have one of each (though my JJ is a Rumblefish XL), and I love them both!
    20180815_191203.jpg
    It is worth noting that the earlier 'Fish are a little bit different than the later ones. Early 'Fish have a slightly thinner body, slightly different neck (earlier necks are a bit thinner and have the skunk stripe, while later necks are a bit thicker and have an aluminum reinforcement channel instead of the skunk stripe), etc.

You mentioned you have leads on one of each... so I'd probably just suggest going for whichever individual bass speaks to you more in this case. The crazy colors and cool/unique finish options are part of the fun of these basses too, so I'd potentially let the finish be a deciding factor if I was stuck between two basses.

I will say that the RPJs (106 total) and RXLs (141 total) are significantly rarer than the standard JJs (418 total). Maple boards are also rarer than rosewood boards. These are pretty rare basses to begin with, so it's great that you have leads on 2 of them that you like.

Also, while these basses have 'familiar' pickup configs (i.e. JJ, PJ), they definitely have their own character.

The following site has a ton of great info on these too, in case it might help with your decision.

Reverend Rumblefish Bass

Best of luck with your purchase, and let us know what you pick!

pfern, BrentSimons and FretlessFatty like this.
  17. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    JJ.

Really though, considering that you've got both covered already, probably ought to just go by color or unplugged tone/feel.

18. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    Wish I still had mine what was I thinking!!

Dub56 and FretlessFatty like this.
  19. FretlessFatty

FretlessFatty

Nov 23, 2012
    Thanks for the link! Wow, those basses are both beauties.

The finish options are part of it... If I went by finish alone, I'd go for the PJ. But going by neck and my best guess of feel (since I won't get to try them first), I'd go for the JJ -- it's older and has the thinner neck which I will likely adore. So I'm leaning JJ because in my experience, the determining factor in whether I love a bass a long time has more to do with the feel than the look. (Sound is obviously huge too, but I bet they all sound great.)

Yup. I think that's about it. See above! :)

Thanks, y'all!

MattZilla likes this.
  20. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have an RF4 and a matching RF5. Both are JJ and I love it. But I imagine a PJ can give you some serious booty with the P pickup. And those Reverend P pickups were nice. I bought a couple from them when they were liquidating their USA parts shortly after they discontinued US production.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2021