Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend Rumblefish JJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pthump, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    What does the tone of this bass compare to? I understand it is semi hollow, which probably makes it more softer and fat sounding correct? Does this thing still growl like a jazz bass? How would one of these babies hold up in a funk/fusion type setting?

2. I've got two of them. They growl like crazy. Definitely a fat sound, but not "soft". The tone control provides a nice range of tones. Everyone who tries my Rumblefish loves them. I recently recorded with one of them and the engineer liked it so much, he's getting one for his studio.
    As far as funk/fusion, some people say they're not the best for slapping. I seem to be able to do my poor imitation of slapping just fine on the Rumblefish, but YMMV, of course.

3. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I have a 5L and a P/J 4 string, love em both. Soundman at our church was blown away by the bass. Said:"Don't know how much you paid for that thing, but it's worth every penny." Couldn't believe I paid $600 for it.

Great growl!! Will eventually look for another 4 to turn into a fretless.

4. I think the Rumblefish is a great all-purpose bass. I used mine when we cut our CD and, both in the studio and live, I get nothing but compliments from the engineers...you know the guys, "Don't you have a Fender?" I don't slap so I can't speak to that but the 'fish will be just fine for Rocco-style finger funk. They're really nice basses; built to last, good quality components, great feel and fat sounding.

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I get a fat, clean finger tone from my fish. It is my favorite bass, hands down. I also do not slap it much, but when I do, it sounds great (the tone, not my feeble slapping skills). Now if I could find a PJ to round out my collection. . . . . .

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    This thread makes me sad. It seems like every time I'm in the market for a new bass (I'm not at the moment) all the Reverends suddenly dry up.

7. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    There's a maple fretboard fish on the bay right now making me drool. If only I could win Lotto.

8. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    That's exactly my point. Right now, I can't afford, and don't particularly want, a new bass...and there's the Rumblefish! As soon as I'm able to buy something, though, they'll all disappear. :bawl:

9. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Can you tell I like sushi?

[​IMG]

10. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Nice catch!! I really want one in 69 Orange or Lava Swirl.

11. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    That's one of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen...excuse me, I've got to wipe the tears away...

12. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Man, I knew I had seen that pic somewhere before. I have been trying to track down that photo for a good year. I knew I wasn't crazy.

Anyways, I just sold my PJ to a guy who already owned 3. I had a JJ and a PJ both which I loved. However I decided to go in a different direction, and if I had the talent to justify having 4 basses I would have kept the PJ. Attached is a pic of the guys school of fish with my old PJ.
    I believe Countfunkula (sp?) might be selling his JJ (formerly mine) so PM him if you're looking for one.

Attached Files:

13. I'm speechless.

14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Wow! I am impressed!

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Comparing my 5L to my Jazz5 Fretless...
    Seems like the Rev is definately fatter...probably not softer. Switchable coils maight give it a little more tonal variety. If you want softer put flatwounds on, they like that;) I find Reverends to be very hot for passive basses. I have the 5L and a BH 5, and wouldn't trade either of them...except for maybe a BH5 in lava swirl, or turned aluminum or something...I definately like the necks on the Rev's better.

Get one, they're the schizzle.

16. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Nothin' quite like a school of 'fish!

I've got a white/gold 4 and a blue/white 5--picked them up used on ebay a few years back at a combined price of $750
    I don't think I'd ever sell them, even though I rarely play the 5

17. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Are there any Rumblefish sound bytes around?

18. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
  19. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Wow, nice.

20. That is way cool. Great playing and nice tone.