Reverend Rumblefish PJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cacklingjackyl, Jul 8, 2004.

1. I ran a search but really did not find the answer I was looking for. I see that most people say the Rev. Rumblefish's are not good for slapping. I did not see anyone mention this specific one, though. Has anyone slapped around on one of these? Is it like the others, or can you get a better slap tone out of this?

I am researching options for bass #2. I want something with an aggressive rock sound (growl), but something that I can slap too. I play mostly rock, funk, and R & B with my current band. The price on these are great, and I like the buzz I hear about this bass, but I have to have something that I can slap on.

2. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Thing is all Reverends aren't good for slapping because they are semi-hollow. The chambers take away the snap from slap playing. It doesn't sound bad, but it does lack compared to a solid body bass. It certainly would get the job done for any kind of rock music though.
  3. I heard bassmonkeee slap and pop on my Reverend (J-J) the other day, and it sounded pretty darn good to me. But, 6-3-2 is right -- a solidbody will probably yield a better slap tone.
  4. Thanks. I won't count one out, but I will probably look for something else then. I've never seen a Rev. Rumblefish in a store anyway and damn sure wont' buy a bass unless I can out my hands on it. Guess I'll have to go Warwick, Spector, G & L, Fender, Lakland, or Music Man if I want something w/ a decent growl plus a good slap tone. My search will continue.

Thanks for the insight.
  5. Just FYI, Reverend sells direct with a 14-day trial period. So, you could try one risk-free if you wanted. I haven't found a better tone for rock, but the slap thing may be another story.
    Good luck with your search..
  6. I'll definately consider doing that. I am still in the process of trying out as many basses as I can in hopes of narrowing down my search. With what everyone tells me about these basses, it would probably be a shame not to try one.
  7. If nobody's talking about Reverend's slap sound, then there's probably not much to say. I'd look for something with a great reputation for slap tone first, then narrow it down by style and fit.

Marcus Miller J's
    Warwick Streamers

All of these are well known slap monsters and have flexible tones for fingerstyle. Sometimes you gotta NOT reinvent the wheel.
  8. Yeah, the more I read the more I see that you are probably right.
  9. BassGuy

Jun 30, 2000
    I really like the Rumble P-Js. I got to play one in a store once only because they had it for sale used. Check their website: They only sell in a few stores. Hard to find.