Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend Rumblefish String Recommendations...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Slater, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I just received a Rumblefish XL that I purchased on eBay. It sounds HUGE with a lot of low-end! I like it :D !

However, I believe it still has the factory SIT strings on it, and I don't really care for them. They're not bad, but I've liked other strings a lot more.

I'm limiting my search to nickel roundwounds. I'm really looking for some strings that will add presence to the sound of this bass.

Right now, I'm leaning towards trying some Thomastik-Infeld Power Bass strings. I've never used them before, so now might be the time.

Any help you TB'rs can offer will be greatly appreciated.

2. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    TI Flats are the way to go I have the same bass with the Standard Tone Control and It Sound Huge with the Flats on it .

3. I like Ernie Ball Slinkys, .45-.105, on my Rumblefish. Been usin' 'em on that bass since day one, almost five years ago. No complaints! But, you can't go wrong with Powerbass strings, either. I use those on my Curbow and I love the way they sound.

4. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I became frugal and purchased some Ernie Ball (pink package) Super Slinky's (half the price of the TI's).

They're not installed yet, but I've used the Super Slinky's many times before and know what to expect from them, and If I don't like them on the Rumblefish, at least I'll know which direction to go next...

(I also purchased some DR Sunbeams [which I've never tried before] for my '60s Jazz bass) :) .

5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    presence! that 'fish oozes presence! I've only used 3 different types of strings on my 2 fishes, but I think flats are great because the 'fish has such a pinging,ringing, sustain to it naturally--and flats don't cover that up, it still comes thru in the tone.

6. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I've got a Reverend Brad Houser 5 and love the sound of DR Lo-Riders with it -- nickel or steel...

7. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Well, after one gig, the verdict is in...

...The Ernie Ball Super Slinky's are the winners (for now :rolleyes: :D ).

One thing that really made a difference is that I lowered both pickups about 1/8 of an inch. Lowering the pickups really cleaned up the tone and brought this bass to life. I finally heard the Reverend tone that everyone raves about.

Anyway, the Super Slinky's give me an aggresive growl when I want it, or I can just back-off the tone knob and smooth things out.

I'm a happy camper :cool: .

8. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I like DR Sunbeams, 45-65-80-100. Smooth feel and a warm tone that compliments the bass.

9. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Well, this post is 2 years old now--I still have the same strings on my 'fishes since I last posted! Have a new 'fish in the pond though.

Any updated thoughts from anyone? Or, how about strings you tried and DIDN'T like on the Rev.

10. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Well, I don't have my 'Fish anymore, but I still liked the Ernie Balls the most. I had some TI Jazz Flats on the bass for a while, and I liked those too, but to me, the Ernie Ball Super Slinkys were made for the Reverend that I had...

11. I've still got Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys on my blue Rumblefish. I strung my white one with La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels D-tuning set, and these strings are great. I may try the normal EADG set on my blue 'Fish at some point.

12. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Sweet Grandmother's Spatula Indeed! Why did you toss the 'fish back in the water? Do you regret it or think you may get another someday? Just curious.

13. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I sold my Rumblefish for two reasons. First, I needed to finance the purchase of my EBMM Bongo (which I absolutely love!). Second, my band plays long sets (up to 3 hours) and that "banjo" arm rest was very uncomfortable! At the end of a gig with the 'Fish, I would have a big red mark on the inside of my right forearm. I really loved the neck, and the bass sounded great, but I still like my Bongo better...

Now that Reverend is going to be all imports, if they re-introduce a bass line, I'll see what they have to offer...

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I really like the SIT nickels. If you weren't getting presence out of those oout of those, you needed a new set.
    SIT nickels are factory spec for both Rev's and G&L.
    I find steel, and stainless fo be too bright for me.
    If you like flats, try laklands, or DA Chromes.

15. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I keep my fish and refuse to toss 'em back... ;) I'm still using DR Sunbeams. They have the sound that I want with this bass. Actually, they're also on my Fender AmDLx P and J!

Calexia13 likes this.
  16. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas