Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend Rumblefish users - I need your help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Rader, Dec 30, 2002.

1. I have a friend who is considering having a Reverend Rumblefish fretless custom made. He is a great player who plays jazz, pop and latin primarily. He currently plays a Sadowsky 4 string and a heavily modded Fender Jazz. He is very particular.

What should he know about the Reverend Rumblefish?

Thanks!!
    Jeff

2. I haven't been able to figure out why Reverend doesn't offer a fretless Rumblefish as a "standard" option! I believe he will be very happy with it. The pickups are angled and that adds to the clarity of the instrument. With the 3-way voicing switch (series/parallel/single coil), you can get a myriad of great tones. I would think he could get "Jacotone" in the single-coil setting and you can get great J-Bass tone in the parallel setting as well as fat booty in the series setting.

I had been toying with the idea of swapping necks on my Rumblefish and my fretless MIM J-Bass just to satisfy my curiosity on this subject. I think a fretless Rumblefish would be a real monster bass!

3. oh god, oh gauurghlgrlllllllllll...... *drool*

that's going to be the sweetest fretless ever.

what ELSE should he know? well, he might assume a rumblefish sounds like a jazz. not so - it doesn't really "growl" so much. rather, it has an enormous punch. not the hollow, ballsy stingray punch, but fuller, more piano-like. and in series mode, it's downright MEAN. joe naylor really needs to start offering fretless as an option. what kind of fingerboard will it be, pau ferro maybe? OH! OH! i wonder if he can get piezo pickups too? given the extra-resonant nature of the 'fish, i would definitely look into that.

4. What those guys said! Jeff, I think that if your friend is a tone freak, he's going to be very happy with the Reverend. The only thing I think he could have an issue with is the unconventional looks of the bass, if he's playing jazz gigs. But given that he's thinking about having a Rumblefish custom made, I'm sure he knows what they look like. I'm really encouraged to see guys who play high-end basses like Sadowskys also looking into Reverends. (For instance, Joelc73 really digs his Brad Houser, and he's a Fodera guy.) Reverends are such great basses.

5. Even well-known professionals like Dave Pomeroy are proud of their Reverend basses. In fact, if I remember correctly, Dave even used his Reverends for some slap soloes on his solo disc (there was an article in BP Mag a few months back). I LOVE my Reverend!

6. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Another Dedicated R'fish Guy Here! Tone and SUSTAIN! Damn, these things ring, even w/ flatwounds. I have a 4 and a 5 string--not quite used to the 5 yet (first 5 string in 25 years of playing) but I love the 4. Best neck i've ever played (for me) and light as a feather--as for the looks, I love it! Post some pictures of that badboy once he gets it.

7. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Absolutely true. I love my Brad Houser 5. I make everyone try that bass when they come over because it plays so well and sounds so good. I thought about ordering a fretless version also. I'd love to hear from someone who has one.

The bass has more lows than mids, but with the bridge pick-up soloed and in series it could probably throw out enough mids for an admirable amount of mwah.

8. he put it on the cover, too.