1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reverend Rumblefish users - I need your help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Rader, Dec 30, 2002.

1. I have a friend who is considering having a Reverend Rumblefish fretless custom made. He is a great player who plays jazz, pop and latin primarily. He currently plays a Sadowsky 4 string and a heavily modded Fender Jazz. He is very particular.

What should he know about the Reverend Rumblefish?

Thanks!!
    Jeff

2. I haven't been able to figure out why Reverend doesn't offer a fretless Rumblefish as a "standard" option! I believe he will be very happy with it. The pickups are angled and that adds to the clarity of the instrument. With the 3-way voicing switch (series/parallel/single coil), you can get a myriad of great tones. I would think he could get "Jacotone" in the single-coil setting and you can get great J-Bass tone in the parallel setting as well as fat booty in the series setting.

I had been toying with the idea of swapping necks on my Rumblefish and my fretless MIM J-Bass just to satisfy my curiosity on this subject. I think a fretless Rumblefish would be a real monster bass!

3. oh god, oh gauurghlgrlllllllllll...... *drool*

that's going to be the sweetest fretless ever.

what ELSE should he know? well, he might assume a rumblefish sounds like a jazz. not so - it doesn't really "growl" so much. rather, it has an enormous punch. not the hollow, ballsy stingray punch, but fuller, more piano-like. and in series mode, it's downright MEAN. joe naylor really needs to start offering fretless as an option. what kind of fingerboard will it be, pau ferro maybe? OH! OH! i wonder if he can get piezo pickups too? given the extra-resonant nature of the 'fish, i would definitely look into that.

4. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

What those guys said! Jeff, I think that if your friend is a tone freak, he's going to be very happy with the Reverend. The only thing I think he could have an issue with is the unconventional looks of the bass, if he's playing jazz gigs. But given that he's thinking about having a Rumblefish custom made, I'm sure he knows what they look like. I'm really encouraged to see guys who play high-end basses like Sadowskys also looking into Reverends. (For instance, Joelc73 really digs his Brad Houser, and he's a Fodera guy.) Reverends are such great basses.

5. Even well-known professionals like Dave Pomeroy are proud of their Reverend basses. In fact, if I remember correctly, Dave even used his Reverends for some slap soloes on his solo disc (there was an article in BP Mag a few months back). I LOVE my Reverend!

6. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Another Dedicated R'fish Guy Here! Tone and SUSTAIN! Damn, these things ring, even w/ flatwounds. I have a 4 and a 5 string--not quite used to the 5 yet (first 5 string in 25 years of playing) but I love the 4. Best neck i've ever played (for me) and light as a feather--as for the looks, I love it! Post some pictures of that badboy once he gets it.

7. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Absolutely true. I love my Brad Houser 5. I make everyone try that bass when they come over because it plays so well and sounds so good. I thought about ordering a fretless version also. I'd love to hear from someone who has one.

The bass has more lows than mids, but with the bridge pick-up soloed and in series it could probably throw out enough mids for an admirable amount of mwah.

8. he put it on the cover, too.