Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend Rumblefish versatility

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leishan, Nov 3, 2003.

1. leishan

leishan

Aug 11, 2002
    Medina, TN
    I am a recent bass convert after playing guitar for 20 + years. I was wondering how versatile the Reverend Rumblefish was. I play in a church praise band that plays several different styles so I need something that is pretty versatile. I'm trying to decide between a Rumblefish and a Warwick FNA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Well, I'd say it fits in pretty much any style of music, but it is a passive bass. If you have a good EQ on your amp, then you'll be fine. I still use my Reverend on every gig (along with my Yamaha BB1500A). If I want a more upright-like tone, I just turn the tone down. It is also sensitive to plucking position. For example, if you pluck near the neck, it will give you a more bassy tone, if you pluck over the bridge pickup, it will be much more tight, focused, and bright.

3. Here's a pic of me with my Rev.:bassist:

4. I agree 100%.

5. :cool: :D ;)

6. Mr. 7770 is right.. the control over tone and dynamics you have with your hands, combined with the Reverend's tone knob, provides several usable sounds. Certainly, a passive bass with J-style electronics isn't going to be as tonally versatile as an active bass, but the Reverend combined with the EQ on your amp should give you enough flexiblity. And, I can say without reservation that my Rumblefish is the sweetest playing and sounding bass I've ever owned, and that includes a couple that cost nearly four times as much.
    Plus, what better bass than a Reverend to play with a praise group? :D :p :rolleyes:

7. I finally played a Rumblefish in Guitar Center..and it really was impressive..it looks a lot better in person, first off, and the tones it had were satisfying...

The B string was a lot better than I thought it'd be as well

8. They are high-quality, well made instruments masquerading as 50's and 60's kitsch. I'll bet a lot of people are surprised when they pick one up for the first time after having seen them only in pictures...I know I was!

9. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I played that one the Blue one at Carl Place GC

10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I recently picked up a used Rumblefish XL, and it's become my #1 gigging bass. IMO, a Reverend bass could do any type of music well, except for slap-style music. The semi-hollow body just doesn't have enough bite. I use my Reverend for a few songs that I slap and pop a little on, and it gets by, but it's just not ideal.

11. I saw the bass player from Critters Buggin play one of these at bumpershoot.. Ive wanted to get one ever since simply because they look so cool. I guess the fact they sound good is a bonus!!

12. I would say that it is as versatile as any passive jazz style bass. I would not say that it can get a ton of different sounds, like a bass with an active preamp. but they have a great tone that will work with any kind of music. they are great basses. I had an older rumblefish and I kick myself in the butt for selling it.

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have a used Rumblefish model here with me. arrived a couple of days a go so i am still starting to play the bass.

my first impresisons are that is as versatile as a jazz bass.

great bass.