1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reverend Rumblefish versatility

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leishan, Nov 3, 2003.

1. leishan

leishan

Aug 11, 2002
    Medina, TN
    I am a recent bass convert after playing guitar for 20 + years. I was wondering how versatile the Reverend Rumblefish was. I play in a church praise band that plays several different styles so I need something that is pretty versatile. I'm trying to decide between a Rumblefish and a Warwick FNA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Well, I'd say it fits in pretty much any style of music, but it is a passive bass. If you have a good EQ on your amp, then you'll be fine. I still use my Reverend on every gig (along with my Yamaha BB1500A). If I want a more upright-like tone, I just turn the tone down. It is also sensitive to plucking position. For example, if you pluck near the neck, it will give you a more bassy tone, if you pluck over the bridge pickup, it will be much more tight, focused, and bright.

3. Here's a pic of me with my Rev.:bassist:

4. I agree 100%.

5. :cool: :D ;)

6. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

Mr. 7770 is right.. the control over tone and dynamics you have with your hands, combined with the Reverend's tone knob, provides several usable sounds. Certainly, a passive bass with J-style electronics isn't going to be as tonally versatile as an active bass, but the Reverend combined with the EQ on your amp should give you enough flexiblity. And, I can say without reservation that my Rumblefish is the sweetest playing and sounding bass I've ever owned, and that includes a couple that cost nearly four times as much.
    Plus, what better bass than a Reverend to play with a praise group? :D :p :rolleyes:

7. I finally played a Rumblefish in Guitar Center..and it really was impressive..it looks a lot better in person, first off, and the tones it had were satisfying...

The B string was a lot better than I thought it'd be as well

8. They are high-quality, well made instruments masquerading as 50's and 60's kitsch. I'll bet a lot of people are surprised when they pick one up for the first time after having seen them only in pictures...I know I was!

9. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I played that one the Blue one at Carl Place GC

10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I recently picked up a used Rumblefish XL, and it's become my #1 gigging bass. IMO, a Reverend bass could do any type of music well, except for slap-style music. The semi-hollow body just doesn't have enough bite. I use my Reverend for a few songs that I slap and pop a little on, and it gets by, but it's just not ideal.

11. I saw the bass player from Critters Buggin play one of these at bumpershoot.. Ive wanted to get one ever since simply because they look so cool. I guess the fact they sound good is a bonus!!

12. I would say that it is as versatile as any passive jazz style bass. I would not say that it can get a ton of different sounds, like a bass with an active preamp. but they have a great tone that will work with any kind of music. they are great basses. I had an older rumblefish and I kick myself in the butt for selling it.

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have a used Rumblefish model here with me. arrived a couple of days a go so i am still starting to play the bass.

my first impresisons are that is as versatile as a jazz bass.

great bass.