Reverend Rumblefish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Apr 12, 2001.

1. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Any opinions on the Rumblefish 4? Is it a gimmicky tone or is it a unique versitle jazz? What do they run new? How's the construction?
  2. Hey RS,
    There are several threads on Rumblefish basses.. do a search, and you'll find out more than you ever wanted to know.
    I'll just say that I've owned two (still have one) and they are great basses. The look may be gimmicky, but that's it. They are for real.
  3. dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    The reverend basses are great instruments. Very fender-like for everything except the slap. I have the R5L and love it dearly.
  4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm considering getting one also... they look very nice, and appear to sound very good. I've done a little bit of research on them. Look at my thread from before, it got moved down to the "Wanted" section.

I have no idea why that happened... oh well...
    Download a Dave Pomeroy song, he uses a rumblefish 5L.

I'm considering getting a Rumblefish XL (4 string)
    And as soon as I get the money, I'm going to make the purchase...
  5. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    Reverend sound like mixture of Fender Jazz and hollowbody Hofner. It is a unique sound by itself.
    The neck is fast and smooth. The XL 4 is very versatile. The B string on the 5 strings in not quite tight in my opinion. Sound big with out preamp.
    If I plug in SVT 2 I get an old vintage sound . The only drawback is the humm caused by the single coil pick up.
  6. Carl Brusky

Carl Brusky

Sep 21, 2000
    I purchased a Reverend Rumblsfish XL 4 string.

I love it. I have a Warwick Thumb that was my #1 but I am beginning to think the Rumblefish will become the #1.
  7. When I got my first Reverend, I also had a Warwick Thumb NT-4, a Modulus Flea bass, and a '72 Jazz. The 'Fish overtook them all. I'm moving it back into the rotation pretty soon.
  8. hey c-eye, me too. as soon as i save up enough, aged white XL 4 with maple board... oh yes, it will be mine.
  9. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Can you guys with XLs try and describe the series sound? I like the 'fish in concept but have never actually seen one in the masonite. I've read that the series position gives a P or Stingray-type sound. And that's what my favorite sound is - a deep, P-bassy growl. If the Rumblefish XL does that then I might go with one of those next as I want a narrower neck which is available on a G&L but harder come by.
  10. Craig, you hit it right on the head. It's a big, fat, deep, focused growl. But it's a passive bass, so it may lack a little something or other compared to the Stingray.. if you dig that active sound.
  11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    That's the exact color I'm getting too from I already talked to the guy... you better not get it before me... you bastard!

It's mine!

12. well, i wasn't planning on it, but since i am such a bastard i guess i might as well steal it from under your nose. thanks for the tip, buster. ;)