Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

reverend rumblefish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey yall
    what is the tone like on this thing??
    Im thinking about buying one
    I wanna play one ya know but i cant find any place that sells them around here.
    So what is the tone like? I sorta made an assumption that since it has 2 j pups it has growl to it..but i dont know much of anything so if you could help.. it would be apreciated

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    They only sell direct. You won't find it at a music store unless it's second hand. www.reverendguitars.com

I've heard they sound pretty close to j. Don't know much beyond that. BP did a review though a couple years back and it's on their archive section.
    http://archive.bassplayer.com/z1999/9910/reverend.shtml

brad cook

3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    J on steroids. More bottom due to body design. This bass actually fits the over-used term "piano-like" tone. Exceptional clarity on low notes. Many sounds are possible, from warm and boomy to hi-fi clean. A fine sounding instrument. :)

4. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

I've given a couple a serious run-through and I like them a great deal.

Nice light weight and a neck that fits your hand with just super-nice feel. If I remember correctly, you can choose between series or humbucking mode with the single coils.

You really can't go wrong.

5. There are 2 models, the Rumblefish and the Rumblefish XL. The XL model has a series/parallel/single coil mini toggle switch. In parallel, you get the classic Jazz Bass tone, in the single coil mode you get the neck pickup only and in the series mode you get a big fat tone...like a giant humbucker. I have this model and I love it...very versatile and great sounding. The other model has regular Jazz Bass controls (i.e. 2 volumes knobs and a master tone). These basses are quite light and the necks are absolutely perfect...they feel like a worn in Jazz Bass neck. My action is incredibly low and I haven't had to tweak the truss rod to keep it that way. You can find good deals all over the 'net on these things...used (but absolutely mint), mine cost me $360, shipped with a gig bag.