Reverend Rumblefish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by watspan, Nov 25, 2002.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I got a 4 string off of e-bay after playing one in a music store and think this a wonderful instrument--low action, thin narrow neck, awesome growling tone, light as a feather, innovative materials and construction--liked it so much i've picked up a 5 string (never thought i'd leave the world of 4's)

I haven't seen any feedback on rev. basses on here and wondered what otheres thought of these unique instruments:D
  2. I think they're great. One of the best deals in bass going around.
  3. Congrats, man! Great choice. There have been several threads about Reverends here in the past.
    I've had my Rumblefish (#47) for 4 years now and it still kills.
  4. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    They're a great deal on a very playable, unique bass. The tone leaves a little to be desired in some circumstances, but for most it's cool... not much midrange, lots of boom, & lots of cutting treble. I used to have a 5 but the lack of flexability made me sell it.

Like I said though, a GREAT value and a very fun bass to play. People always asked about it :)
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i was just at the Philly Guitar show, and Joe Naylor was there with his Reverend line. i was next door at the Alessandro booth checkin' out George's Basset Hound head, and suddenly heard some MEAN-ASS slap/pop happenin'.

lookin' over my shoulder i see this scrawny little 14 yr. old wailin' on a 5'er Rumblefish. holy smack, this wee boy was pullin' some killer funk tone. didnt have time to play it, but daggit, been kickin' myself for not at least trying... :(
  6. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Although (ironically) I have my Rumblefish 4 up for sale - they are great basses!

One of the nicest feeling necks you'll find! I'm just reducing the overall # of basses, which is the ONLY reason for selling!

Lot's of bottom and very Jazz-like in tone. Very light! It's also nice to play a bass where you don't worry about scratching easily! It's like playing your kitchen counter (sort of)!

In summary - if the radical looks don't bother you, it's an awesome bass (for the money!)
  7. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    [sorry for the thread-stealing]

You gonna get a Basset? How did it sound? All hype or results?
  8. My Rumblefish is my main bass until I get my next custom 4-string. I love it!
  9. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Let's get ready to.... aw, you know the rest!:D
  10. I just hate it when people feel compelled to attach that "for the money" at the end! ;)
    The Rumblefish is an awesome bass.. period. Since I've had mine, several basses that cost two or three times as much have come and gone. The only bass I've ever owned that beats it is my custom Curbow Jazz clone.. mostly because it has an all-rockwood neck that is an exact dimensional copy of the Reverend neck.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Now, knowing that you've owned and Alembic AND a Carl Thompson, and you kept the Reverend...that speaks MILES for those little bad boys.
  12. My Reverend is the only bass I've owned that I plan to keep forever. I also currently own a Carvin LB75, but I plan to sell it to help pay for my next custom 4-string.

Other basses I've owned:
    Carvin LB70
    Carvin B5
    Warwick Streamer Standard
    Hamer Slammer Series Chapparal
    Hondo P-Bass copy
  13. I know I love mine! I have the XL version and I'm addicted to the big, fat series setting. I like the neck better than any I've ever played.