Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend Rumblefishes p/j and Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Anyone use flats on their reverend basses? Did you need to have a set up after you put them on?

Any sound clips. I want to start playing flats for that butter sound. I love it. And I am wondering if I will need a set up.

thanks

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I tried TIJF's and also Chromes on mine. I thought that bass lost something and the flats seemed more appropriate on one of my J's. I went back to rounds. Currently DR Black Beauties which are a kind ofrestrained for a round. I also re-placed the pickups to something more trad sounding. The stock Rev PJ setup is pretty hot so I went with Aero Type 1's which fit that bass like a hand to a glove...

Not sure why, but the flats seem to have more authority on the J (also Aero Type 1's). The J has a BA II and is solid. I'm guessing that it is the solid body vs semi hollow construction.

You ought to give it a shot as this is all very subjective though...

3. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    You might want to check out La Bella tape wounds. They sound great on my Brad Houser.
    Rezdog

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    A string that has an outer 'plastic' tape winding. Very smooth and very dead. I ran them on my Tacona ABG for quite a while as I wanted a more acoustic rise and quick delay for that bass. I'm personally not a fan for electric basses but it's truly a matter of taste.

5. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    You can get some pretty cool sounds out of tape wounds. Check out my band's site at Bezhig.com Go to the music section and select these songs from the 'Change Your Ways' album....'Bunker','So Many Know', and 'Make Them Kneel'. Give em a listen. All the songs were done with tape wounds.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

6. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan

Good stuff. Your singer reminds me of the guy from the Rhinos.

Maybe my next Reverend I'll try flats.

7. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Glad you liked it. We got a buncha more tunes we're workin on and figuring out some more scams for recording monies. So the singer sounds sorta like the Rhinos eh...... :)
    Rezdog

8. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    The government still give out money for musicians? Back in 91,we got some money but we ran out before we got all the tracks done. :crying:

Ever heard of the Rhinos? They were an Ontario band(I believe), crossed paths with them a few times. My wife really dug them so I bought her the CD.