Reverend Triad Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HG1180, Aug 12, 2020.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Those things are so freaking cool. If there were a 5 string I would already own one... possibly two.

Can't help on the body style though.

HG1180 likes this.
  2. I would wholeheartedly agree with the coolness factor. At 720 dollars it seems like a steal too. Before I pull the trigger or not Id just like to hear some firsthand accounts of the way it plays and such.

Not to mention the finish but... :drool::drool::drool:

two fingers likes this.
  3. Bump, because I would like some answers.

4. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard.

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I own a Mercalli 4, which is the same body shape. I've had zero issues with gigging for three hours with it. Balances well, sounds amazing, high quality build.

It's my "best" bass by far.

As for the tone, mine is a much different pick up style, but it cuts like mad.

jd56hawk likes this.
  5. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I love my recently acquired 2019 Reverend Triad Bass in Burnt Brick. The feature set is impressive and it’s a great value, IMO. I’m not playing out much these days but I compliments on it during my Zoom jams and tutorials. The sound reminds me of marriage between a Jazz Bass and a Rickenbacker. Balance and comfort are excellent and boy, does that roasted five-piece walnut/maple neck feel *amazing*!

full.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Mercalli5, pfern and raphaeld like this.
  6. John Stephen

John Stephen Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    @selowitch, I've got a Reverend Raymond that I also love, but want to change the strings. I've still got the factory stock strings on it, which are very noisy rounds of some type. Gauges are 45-100. Are you using the stock strings on your Triad, or have you tried other strings?

7. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I am playing whatever strings were on it when it arrived from MusicGoRound in Kenosha, Wisconsin. I’m guessing D’Addarios. It sure plays/sounds great and I got it at a used price in seemingly perfect shape. The neck is just to die for and everyone remarks on the look. :)

The two things I like most about my Reverend are: 1) the bevy of premium features and great choices by the design team; and 2) the interesting palette of sounds available—rich, full, compelling tone.

8. John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Agreed, it is one cool-looking, cool-sounding, easy playing bass. It actually looks like a work of art. And ditto on the neck. It also is the lightest, most well-balanced 34"-scale bass I've ever played. Love everything about it, 'cept those strings. Thanks for replying, though.

9. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    What strings do you think you might prefer?

10. John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    I'm a flats player. These are the first rounds I've used in years. I bought the Reverend about six months ago and I've left them on there, hoping to get to used to that feeling under my fingers (and be able to play them with less finger noise). But I've decided to give in and switch to flats. Might try LaBella Deep Talkin's, which I've used on my other basses.

11. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Good idea. I like D’Addario Chromes a lot as well as GHS Brite Flats.

12. John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Right, I've heard good reports about the GHS Brite Flats. I'll report back, after I switch 'em and give a review.

pfern likes this.
  13. John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Two months in, I can report a very positive review about the GHS Brite Flats. I think they pretty much do what they're advertised to do -- give you a flattish sound with a bit more zing, not quite as thumpy but almost. I think the advertising slogan is something like "Motown but with more bite", and I'd say that is a good description. They eliminate the finger squeak noise, or at least greatly reduce it, and they feel good beneath the fingers. They did have a slightly tacky or sticky feel for a few days, but then it went away. And they record very well -- very strong, clear sound. Will have these on for quite awhile.

selowitch likes this.
  14. CajunBassDude

CajunBassDude

May 20, 2021
    I have 4 Reverend Basses (Party Red Decision with the old school split brick neck pickup, black Mercalli 5, Purple Burst Triad and a Vintage White Dub King) and a 5th on the way (Sentinal in Transparent Turquoise). They are amazing Basses. They are SUPER comfortable and light, all are very well made, and each one has powerful passive pickups that are dead quiet under stage lights- no buzz no hum- just quiet. I haven’t traded my Fenders, but have started to use Reverends in place of them on stage for those reasons. I especially love the Triad in live settings because each of the 5 possible pickup positions has a noticeably different sound.

15. John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    That's very good to hear. I'm glad the Revs have worked out so well for you. Next Wednesday, 5/26, I have my first post-COVID gig and will be using my new Reverend Raymond bass for the first time. Am very much looking forward to it.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021