1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reverend XL vs. JJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Has anyone played both the XL and JJ versions of the reverend 4 string? I have a JJ and was curious how the XL compares sound wise. I almost always play with both pickups blended so I'm wondering if the serial wiring of the XL would give me more punch and a less-transparent sound.

Thanks

2. Hey Count,
    I owned both a JJ and an XL at the same time. I found that to my ear, the JJ with everything dimed sounded better than the XL with the pickups in series. It was just a bit louder and punchier. The series setting on the XL had a more "modern" sound, but that's not my cup of tea. You'd really have to A/B them yourself to see which you prefer.

3. I have the XL and I use the "series" mode 90% of the time. In the "series" mode it is louder than the "parallel" or "single coil" modes and is very thick sounding because the 2 pickups become, essentially, one giant humbucker. In the "parallel" mode is sounds more or less like a Jazz Bass. I have played the JJ, but I'm hooked on that fat "series" sound. It sounds like a Gibson EB0 or EB3 (or a P-Bass) but it has a lot more clarity, definition and punch but still retains the old school thump.