Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend XL vs. JJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Has anyone played both the XL and JJ versions of the reverend 4 string? I have a JJ and was curious how the XL compares sound wise. I almost always play with both pickups blended so I'm wondering if the serial wiring of the XL would give me more punch and a less-transparent sound.

Thanks

2. Hey Count,
    I owned both a JJ and an XL at the same time. I found that to my ear, the JJ with everything dimed sounded better than the XL with the pickups in series. It was just a bit louder and punchier. The series setting on the XL had a more "modern" sound, but that's not my cup of tea. You'd really have to A/B them yourself to see which you prefer.

3. I have the XL and I use the "series" mode 90% of the time. In the "series" mode it is louder than the "parallel" or "single coil" modes and is very thick sounding because the 2 pickups become, essentially, one giant humbucker. In the "parallel" mode is sounds more or less like a Jazz Bass. I have played the JJ, but I'm hooked on that fat "series" sound. It sounds like a Gibson EB0 or EB3 (or a P-Bass) but it has a lot more clarity, definition and punch but still retains the old school thump.