1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reverend

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, May 17, 2004.

1. What does the Reverend 4 sound like,can you slap it? Is it like a jazz bass? I am talking about the jj configuration.

2. Hey there,
    If you do a search through the Basses forum, you'll find a lot of previous threads on Reverends. I'll answer your questions real quick, though (I've owned a J-J Rumblefish for 5 1/2 years):
    It sounds like the best passive Jazz bass you've ever heard, and the neck feels perfectly broken-in, thanks to the rolled fretboard edges. You can slap it, but some people are of the opinion that the body material (basically Formica) absorbs too much energy and thus is not conducive to a good slap tone. Someone recently posted a sound-clip of a slapped passage on a Reverend, and it sounded fine to me.
    Short answer: get one!

3. It sounds like a fantastic Jazz-style bass. I absolutely love mine! I agree that slap is not a problem.

4. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    1. Get Rumblefish.
    2. Turn all 3 pots all the way up.
    3. Play!
    4. :hyper:

5. I think they have the best feeling necks I have ever played. While they are not designed for slapping, I doubt it would be a problem. They are great sounding, great playing, well made, American made instruments available at a reasonable price from people who actually listen to you. If there is anything out there with more bang for the buck, I don't know what it is. I have had mine (the XL model) for 2 years and every time I take it to a gig people ask about it and comment on the great tone it produces...big, fat and ballsy. I don't think I have ever heard a negative comment from anybody who owns one, and that really says something.

6. On a side note, their customer service is also top notch! The little "washer" on my E-string tuner broke off once, so I called Reverend (I believe I talked to Joe himself) and asked if I could get a new one. I received it THE VERY NEXT DAY!!! Extremely awesome.

Plus, I've also received MANY compliments about my Reverend's tone and looks. It's simply a great bass.

[​IMG]

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I'd love to have the Brad Houser 5

8. There are a couple of sound clips on my web page of me slapping on my Reverend. I'll post some fingerstyle clips soon. Reverends are awesome basses. You can check them out here:

http://geusnet.com/~goodmanje/

9. What kind were you slapping?

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I like the sound of that clip. Its fatter/rounder sounding then my fender jazz with maple neck but not quite as much bite. Those Reverends are very tempting!

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Me too! I wish it was still available in that "engine turn" brushed aluminum finish.

12. In the FAQ section of Reverend's Web site, it says they will make a bass in a discontinued color or finish if they still have some around. So, you might still be able to get that engine turn aluminum! That was pretty cool lookin', indeed.

13. Thanks, it is a J/J. I talked to Reverend about 6 months ago and they said they still had some of that metal finish in stock. Give them a call. If they have it, they will make you one.

14. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

Count Funkula is there anyway you can record a few passes fingerstyle? Im interested in this bass but dont slap.....at all

15. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    damn that was fast! Thanks Funkula!