Reverse Bass Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bassplaya#21, Jun 8, 2001.

1. Bassplaya#21

Sep 16, 2000
    Zachary, LA
    recently i decided to go a little creative when playing the bass so i reversed the strings from E-A-D-G to G-D-A-E
    and our band has actually played a lot of cool songs this i was woundering if anyone knows someone who has played like this before?
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Before what?
  3. Bassplaya#21

Sep 16, 2000
    Zachary, LA
    has anyone every played like this?
  4. Jimmy Haslip of the Yellojackets plays a 6-string fretless like this. (CGDAEB I think) He's a lefty.

I'm imagining he plays like this because as a kid, he only had access to a righty bass? Can anyone shed any light on this?
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Do you mean someone who plays a righty bass upside down, or someone who tunes in fifths?

Jimmy Haslip and Wayman Tisdale do the former. I don't know anyone who does the latter, at least not GDAE.
  6. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Am I missing something here?

It would seem to me that you just converted the bass from right to left handed.

I'm very surprised that the size of the nut notch for the G string isn't way too small for the E string.

7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Way back, when it was ONLY 4-strings, Haslip did play GDAE(right-handed bass flipped over). Locally(& now nationally), Keith Horne used to play GDAE(another lefty playing a RH bass); it was a trip seeing Horne slap/pop...A-F'ing-mazing! ;)

BTW, back in the early '80s, I jammed with a guitarist who played about some weird-looking chord voicings; even a simple C major in open string position looked Holdsworth-ian! ;)
  8. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Albert King - King of the upside down guitar.
  9. Hey, can't forget Jimi Hendrix.
  10. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    The bassist from Jiggle, a local jamband, is a lefty who plays right handed Modulus 6er's because his left handed ones got stolen. That's got to be tough to adjust.
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hendrix re-strung the RH-ed guitar to = lefthanded(EADGBE)...
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Keith Horne - and he plays some RIPPING slap grooves and other great stuff.

Oops, JimK was faster...:D
  13. Bassplaya#21

Sep 16, 2000
    Zachary, LA
    i mean play'n a left handed bass upside down
  14. Did you know that they are no more, I saw their last show at Union Street in Newton. The show was two weeks ago. Pretty good show all and all.
  15. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Actually, their last show is at Berkfest in August. That's going to be one packed festival! I can't wait.