1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reverse buzz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RadioRob, Jan 22, 2013.

1. RadioRob

RadioRob

Dec 15, 2012
    I have a bass with newer Blue Steel strings that are very bright and I like that. But what I don't like is on certain upper frets I get a buzz from the back of the string. If I strike the string like a hameron but not a true hameron, just placing my finger on the frets as I am playing I can hear a buzz from my finger back to the tuners. Very annoying. The neck does not buzz any where on the playing pick up side.

2. If you have string on fret rattle between your fretting finger and the nut, there either isn't enough relief in the neck (too flat) or the first few frets may be a little high.

Are the strings you replaced the same gauge as the new ones? Is there room in the nut slots for the string to move in there?

Blue Steels are extra zingy new and maybe it'll go away in time, but unlikely. If your neck is too flat, loosen the TR a hair and retune. I like my necks nice and flat but too much back bow can cause the rattle you have. Maybe.

3. unclebass

unclebass

Dec 17, 2012
    I had the same problem after I recut the string grooves on my nut, apparently a little too deep. Temporary fix, but I laid a small piece of electrical tape at the bottom of the string groove, retightened the string, then used a razor blade to cut any tape not covered by the string. Raised the height just enough to solve the problem. No more annoying rattle!!

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Can you hear the buzzing coming out of your amp?

5. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Maybe you should try stabbing your amp.

6. A lot of roundwounds, and especially SS rounds do buzz against the frets due to the coarser wraps. If you finger closer to the fret with a touch more pressure - that may help.

7. Astreaux

Astreaux

Aug 31, 2012
    Krutonia
    +1 not trying to set it up, just trying to fix the buzz? :D

8. RadioRob

RadioRob

Dec 15, 2012
    Yes I do. I will try razing the nut slots with something.
    True the neck is flat but I get lower action that way. Should it have a slight bow or raise?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021