Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverse DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seanm, Nov 3, 2004.

1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am toying with doubling on bass and sax. My current rig is an iAMP 500 with a CLX-112, so they should handle the frequency range. The sax mic/preamp I am looking at has a balanced XLR output. How can I connect this to my amp?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd be putting a small mixer into the rig. Put the bass in one channel, the sax in the other. Run the output of the mixer in mono and plug it into the input jack on the iAMP. This will give complete flexibility to adjust the varying input gains and EQ each instrument individually.

3. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I second that. And if the mixer has a good enough sounding preamp in the strips, it might even negate the need for the Mic Pre for the sax.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I will think carefully about a mixer. But I am cheap. The mic I am currently looking at is the K&K CXM5. According to the manual:

Does anybody see a problem with doing this? Will the iAMP have problems with the low impedence? I would then use the preamp volume to adjust the gains.

renfield808: I am looking at getting this mic used and the preamp comes with the package.

5. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I'd check the input impedance specifications to see if the mic can be plugged straight in. Sometimes it can be as easy as adapting from one connector to the other and sometimes you fry your input. I've had great success at doing both. ;)

There are XLR-1/4" cables available with the resistor built right into the cable, that might be an option too.

6. You can pick one of these up at Radio Shack or other electronics stores:
    [​IMG]

or you can get one of these super cheap mixers from Musicians Friend or anywhere else.
    [​IMG]

It's only $59.