1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reverse folded horn - 10" or 12" spkr?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wesley R, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Hi,
    Thanks for looking. I did a search but came up with little to nothing.
    We all know have seen/heard or used an 18" reverse folded horn and maybe even a 15" like the old EV (plans are still on their site).
    Has anyone had experience with a 10" or a 12" in the same style cabinet? Any one have design plans for one? How on earth would a person go about figuring the appropriate dimensions?
    Why would anyone want one, I do not know for sure.

2. I think it's a great idea! I've got a hunch that you could make small cabinets more "gig worthy" by doing this because it should project the sound much better. I suppose you could look at the EV plans and reduce the dimensions by 1/3 as a starting point but who knows.

If you do this post updates and pics because I'm interesting in seeing/hearing how it turns out!

3. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    People who use 10"s and 12"s aren't looking for the same thing in a bass cab that people who use 15"s and 18"s are.

4. For the most part I agree that 10”, 12” and 15” users are in search of different sounds. Many posts have discussed “18’s that sound more like smaller speakers, or with more top end, clearer highs etc”. 15’s that do the same and “10’s that produce low E or B like a 15”
    My current belief is that most want the highest level of performance (however they define it) from a given speaker & cab configuration. It would be best if this post does not turn into a “this size is best because… “And stays close to topic.

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Could you expand on that?

Regarding the original post, plenty of horn designs here:

http://billfitzmaurice.com/

Alex

6. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I'll try. People who use 10"s and 12"s are usually looking for something brighter and not so heavy on the low end as 15" and 18" cabs. The reflex design maximizes the very low end response.

7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Check out Bill Fitzmaurice's posts and site. www.billfitzmaurice.com
    he has some very, very cool folded horn designs with 10" and 12" spkrs.
    Look at the DR 250.
    Folded horns are very efficient, and can be extremely well balanced.

8. Definitely check the Bill Fitzmaurice site. Many cool designs. I recently built a Titan 48 that I use for my big gig rig i plan on building one of the smaller cabs soon. Very detailed plans and great support. You can ask questions on builder forum at www.billfitzmaurice.com and get answers immediately from other builders or Mr. Fitzmaurice himself.