1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

reverse gear envy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Yeah, we have probably all been there at some point, you're looking at an artist you enjoy & thinking it would be great to have that gear.

Apparently this works in reverse as well, when someone who owns expensive gear gets envious of another person who plays cheap gear & is completely content with that gear.

grrg63 and TolerancEJ like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    But.....but......the $4000 bass was supposed to make me sound better. It's got quadruple crotch spalted maple for Pete's sake. Quadruple crotch!

grrg63 and Reedt2000 like this.
  3. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    I thought this was about accidentally parking a BMW Bubble Car too close to a wall.

[​IMG]

ajkula66 and ELG60 like this.
  4. I'm not sure what else you'd call it, when a high-end player gets bent out of shape over other folks being happy with cheap gear.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I have both, but have ended up moving to cheaper basses in recent times. I understand it from a gig-logistics point of view. Leaving a $10,000+ bass on a stand unattended while you head to the greenroom or out for a bite to eat is a bad idea in a town or room you don't know. ;) I got tired of having to carry my bass with me at all times, and that's without worrying about stage accidents, clumsy stage hands or other band members.

So, yeah you can bring that Fodera on tour if you want but you have to be good with the potential consequences. If you're a top tier pro player you have better security and surety for your gear...so you can have your 61 stack-knob jazz with you, but for the other 99% of players on the road it's a bad idea.

Killed_by_Death likes this.