Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverse Headstock

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tiefling, Oct 11, 2003.

1. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    Hello all. I was just wondering if there was any downfall to having a reverse headstock (Fender style) for a 5 string? Will the extra length affect the B string?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    No. the extra length will not affect the B string. Don't let anyone tell you that it will. You could run the B string from the nut out to Mars and it would not affect the tension of the B string. Four factors affect each other: the mass per length of the string (which is related to the gauge or diameter), the pitch it produces, the tension it is held at, and the speaking length of the string.

Sorry for the blunt answer, but this is one of the most annoying misconceptions, which is made worse by it being perpetrated by some otherwise reputable builders.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    On the other hand, if you like the look or the tuning feel of a reversed headstock, go for it!

4. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Wouldn't planes and the moon 'n stuff hit it?:D

-RH

5. I thought Mars went out of business?:D

6. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    If you're up for the drive to PA.:D
    Just stay out of downtown Pittsburgh. One-way hell...

Seriously, I'm with pilotjones here. Speaking length is the thing to catch the conscience of the string.

Did I just type that?

-RH