1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reverse P - soapbar style?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by speyer, Oct 14, 2013.

1. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Does anyone make a soapbar style P bass pup in reverse config? Meaning, covers that have the mounting holes 'inside' the pup and no expose pole peices... too match the look of a soapbar?

I was thinking about trying a PJ setup but I really like my Villex soapbar at the bridge. I would be interested in getting some covers like that if they exist. Mabye villex makes some?

thanks in advance.

2. EMG 35/40/45/ P pickups are all reverse config - I greatly prefer reverse config myself.

J

3. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    Villex can make soapbar pickups with reversed-P coil arrangement, on special request.

4. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Do you mean, a pickup made with reverse P coils inside a j cover to replace my J soapbar?

5. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Can anyone confirm this? I'm curious as to why they'd make a standard size/shape P5 and also a soapbar shape reverse P as well.

Leaning towards an EMG reverse P for my next instrument, and looking at options...

6. Because the standard shaped P5 is for people who want/need....a standard shaped P5. You're overthinking this :)

Some want/need a soapbar-shaped P style pickup. Scroll down to the bottom....the beauty is if you want non-reverse, just flip the pickup and accept the logo will be upside down (I do that with the neck position 45JX in my bass to get the active coil closer to the neck):

http://www.bestbassgear.com/emg-pickups-40p5.htm

J

7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Actually, if you flip the pickup, it's still a reverse-P, just with the logo upside down. :)

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You'd still end up with a reverse P if you did that. The pickup would need to be flipped so the logo was facing the inside of the pickup cavity and the wiring facing the strings.

9. Ha ha ha ...absolutely right! Flipping the reverse p still gives the same reverse P - got confused since when I flip with my 45JX, which has one "single" coil at the "back" of the pickup, then the position changes to the other side. Not so with the P5.

J

10. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Not to keep nagging on this, but can you show me something that actually signifies it as a reverse P? I've been over their website and while it says "offset coils" I haven't found anywhere that it states that the bass side is closer to the bridge or the neck, and the epoxy on the back makes eyeballing it kinda tough.

11. The illustration at the bottom of the page couldn't make it any clearer. Back coil for B, E, A.....forward coil for D and G.

12. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Ah. Didn't scroll far enough. Thanks.:oops:

13. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

I've tried contacting villex... nothing yet.

So, I'm guessing the P coils only fit in an 1.5" wide soap bar cover? I'm currently using P2 shape J pups in my bass.

14. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Delano has soapbar pickups that will work.

http://www.bestbassgear.com/sbc-4-he-s-4.htm

Its actually switchable to have standard P/all coils/reverse P, but I'm sure you could wire it up to only work as a reverse P.

I plan on getting one of these for my next build.

15. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Also, Bart quad-coil p'ups can be wired 'P' or reverse 'P',
    or even as dual-coil.
    Not sure if wired as split-coil, straight across would be hum-cancelling, tho.