1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reverse Reverb

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lobe_, May 1, 2015.

1. lobe_

lobe_

Apr 29, 2015
    Hi everyone! First time poster! :)

I wanted to get some opinions on pedals for reverse reverb. I play in a noisy outfit for which one of our guitar players uses a handful of different guitars, and this changeover process, which often involves tuning as well, tends to leave big gaps in our set. Totally not an issue, what we've been doing lately in between songs is a feedback segue for which I use fuzz, slapback delay and reverse reverb to join a couple of the songs together/lead them into one another.

My current setup (pictured in my avatar) starts with a boss line selector, with which i separate my sansamp bass driver on one channel, from my wicker muff and DBA fuzz war on the other channel (not stacked, the volume boost on that fuzz war is pretty frightening) and then after the line selector I go into a mooer reecho and then a digitech digiverb. I'm looking in earnest at replacing the digiverb as it belongs to my bandmate anyway and I'd like to give it back.

The digiverb has an eq control that tends to suck out a lot of the bottom end on my signal regardless of how I've got it set. I wanted to know which reverb pedals any of you might recommend that would affect my eq the least but still obviously sound great. As far as I know I'm not aware of any dedicated reverb bass pedals, but I figure a pedal without any eq settings on it would do the trick. The holy grail max has caught my eye, but I feel like a few second opinions wouldn't hurt. Please hit me with recommendations!

2. ItsMattIThink

ItsMattIThink

Apr 22, 2013
    My guitar player just picked up the relatively new Digitech Polara which has a pretty awesome reverse reverb on it among other things. I kind of want one as well as the new delay they just put out too.

lobe_ likes this.
  3. The EHX Cathedral is great, lots of different sounds too. It has the hold/infinite feature you might find useful.

lobe_ and sillyfabe like this.
  4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Iron Ether Nimbus is a dedicated bass reverb. A very good one at that.

I'm using the Strymon Blue Sky, but mainly for it's shimmer setting. It won't do reverse or infinite-hold sounds.

lobe_ likes this.
  5. Welcome to TB!

Some people opine that there is no such thang as a bass-specific reverb.... Well, a rose by any other name: there's the IE Nimbus that Silky mentioned, and Ashdown's Dr Green Bass Verb pedal.

Alas, the Bass Verb doesn't do reverse, you've gotta get out and push.

Any sound clips of reverse reverb on bass you can point me to?

PS: Hardwire RV-7

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    lobe_ likes this.
  6. lobe_

lobe_

Apr 29, 2015
    None that I can think of, I'll plumb the music library. But think stuff along the lines of yo la tengo, mbv, swirlies, Deerhunter etc, not that any of those bands necessarily use reverse reverb on bass; just in terms of stylistic application. I am sure we have versions of our stuff recorded somewhere on my bandmate's hard drive, so I may look there too when we are together next.

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! I am going to try and track down as many of these as I can to try them out today. The rv-7 and the new digitech pedal sound promising. The ehx cathedral probably won't fit on my board at this stage unfortunately, but I'm going to try and find it too.

Also, is there a talkbass app for iOS? Typing this all out in my chrome app is tedious at best haha, sometimes the comment form stops responding altogether.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  7. There was an app, but it was dropped, tbomk.

8. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    The hardwire rv-7's reverse reverb is nice!

9. lobe_

lobe_

Apr 29, 2015
    Hey guys - I ended up going with a holy grail! Pretty happy with it so far. This is the kind of thing I'll end up using it for.

10. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Like that, does the Holy Grail have the "Flerb" setting?

11. This just popped up on my Instagram feed. Could be interesting:

J-Dub likes this.
  12. J-Dub

J-Dub Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If I had the coin to go all out, I would get the Walrus Audio Decent Reverb. Pretty cool bass demo here. Has reverse.