1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reverse tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by M.A.Brown, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. M.A.Brown

M.A.Brown

Dec 9, 2015
    I have 1995 M.I.J. re- issue 75 Jazz Bass,
    It has a Q serial # under 7000.
    I got it with Hip Shot reverse tuners already installed.
    My question is, what years did Fender produce Bass's with reverse tuners from the factory.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    They still do. Check the re-issues.

3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The reverse tuners were the only tuner you could get until they switched to the oval (lollipop) tuners on the Jazz Bass in 1966, and also introduced the Mustang Bass the same year. The Precision Basses had the reverse tuners as late as early 1968, but sometimes had the oval tuners in 1967 and early 1968. I own a January 1968 Precision Bass that has the oval tuners. It still has the transition headstock logo as well. 1968 was the official year that they switched the tuners on all of the basses, and the reverse tuners didn't appear again until the introduction of the 1962 reissue model in the early 80's.

4. M.A.Brown

M.A.Brown

Dec 9, 2015
    Thanks again,
    I am a Guitar player who has has seen the Light and Loves the Bass
    I had never even heard of Reverse Tuners until I got my latest Bass.
    Thanks for your help.

Lownote38 likes this.
  5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I contend that the new style tuners are the true reverse since they came later. Plus they turn clockwise so....

Lownote38 likes this.
  6. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Reverse compared to what? Compared to guitar tuners?

The reason that early Fender bass tuners were reverse to what they are now is that they were manufactured with minor alterations by companies that made tuners for upright basses. Tuners on uprights had posts parallel to the top surface of the bass and keys at right angles. From the player's perspective, turning the key clockwise tightened the string. However, when these tuners are mounted on a Fender-style headstock, the geometry is such that turning the keys clockwise loosens the string because the string was wrapped the opposite way on the post compared to uprights. Good enough for Fender, but they did get around to ordering reverse gearing later to satisfy guitarists that were moving to bass.

Bachy Soletanch likes this.
  7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Compared to later appearing bass tuners. They came directly from uprights and evolved to turn the other way later.

Btw, it is a joke.

Lownote38 likes this.
  8. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Yah, I know you were joking. It was just an opportunity to explain why the early tuners worked backwards.

96tbird likes this.
  9. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks for that-
    now everyone knows why reverse tuners are forwards, not backwards.

10. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    And everyone knows that forward tuners are backward and reverse, unless you are play doghouse, where right is tight on the upright. Right? The whole thing is screwy.

noeinstein and JustForSport like this.
  11. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I always wondered what the deal was with reverse tuners. Now I know.