Reversing bass modification for sale?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jerry Ziarko, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Several years ago when I thought I would try my hand at a five string, I purchased an Ibanez SR1205. All in all not a bad instrument. The string spacing was tight, but the neck through construction was done nicely as well as the fret work. Once I realized I could actually play it, I figured it was time to upgrade the electronics. After all, the bass did sound quite nice unplugged. I removed the pickups as well as the pre amp and replaced them with EMG soapbars (P/J pattern) with a BTS preamp. (18 volt) Even though it soon was moved to a back up bass for higher end fivers, I kept it as a spare for all these yrs. Well now I have decided to sell it and get a Lakland 5502 for my backup. My question is this: should I return the bass to it's original form and sell electronics separately, or sell it as is?
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    You could offer either one to perspective buyers, with different prices for either option, i.e. $400 with original, $430 with upgraded electronics, or you could sell the bass with stock parts and save the upgraded electronics to drop into a bass you want to juice up in the future.
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    To get the most money from the sale, reverse the mods and sell the EMG electronics seperately. It's very hard to recover the money invested in upgrades on a used instrument...