1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reversing P-J Mod???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ExaltBass, Apr 17, 2009.

1. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    How would I fill the rout from the J Pickup? Has anyone here done this successfully?

It is for my '69 P-J Bass and I would like to reverse all the mods and get it back to what it should look like. I still have all the original hardware. The finish was totally beatup when I bought it... cool now, but not then, so I had it stripped and poly coated.

I plan on having the bass repainted the original color (Ocean Turquoise) after, but I am concerned about filling such a large hole and making the surface smooth.

P-JBass-closeup.

2. :bawl::bawl: man why did u do that on a vintage bass??:bawl::bawl:

maybe a block of wood and some luthier work would fill that and under the finish paint u wont notice a thing.

with some routing ( to clean the picup slot ) and with a perfectly matched block of wood. sand it until it's the same level and finish it. some hard work and measurments.

3. ExaltBass

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I did it in the mid 70's and it wasn't vintage then :( (note the 70s spacing). I was thinking that if I could use the pickup as a guide I could get a block to fill it... it might work. Has anyone here done it?

Axstar likes this.
  4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'd rout a rectangular cavity a little larger than the J cavity, fill the new cavity with a block of appropriate wood and sand it all level. Prime and paint.

It'll be much easier to make the rectangular block fit right than it would be for a J pickup shaped block.

Eric_71 likes this.
  5. that's what i said!

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I didn't read your post.

7. shame on you :p

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    :rollno:

9. ExaltBass

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Took it all apart this morning. Started stripping the poly, using a heat gun. Then I've got to tackle the routs.

The original owner also did a shallow rout for a humbucker and an ugly trench for the wiring and a switch. I filled it in with plastic wood when I bought it, but it shrank and it never bothered me - since it was covered by the pickguard. I want to fill it right now.

It may take some time... but hey, I've owned it for 34 years and it's not going anywhere. ;)

10. i am waiting to see how this turns out!!!
    keep us updated!

11. ExaltBass

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I'll be ready to send her out for refinishing in the next a couple of weeks. Got most of the poly off - whew! And, I've been selling stuff to finance the refin (see the classifieds). This long weekend I want to fill the rout and have it ready-to-go.

Then... I have to figure out where to send it for refinishing... suggestions? I'm in Minnesota, but shipping anywhere CONUS should work.

I want:
    1) Ocean Turquoise Metallic paint that looks 40 years old.
    2) Light relic - well used, but not abused (I have been gigging her since '75).
    3) Pro job

12. any updates???

i am so curious about this!!!

13. ExaltBass

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Well, I gutted out (and I'm glad I did). My body kept telling me to go all the way with a professional restoration... so, after I got all the poly off I did.

Here is what scared me...

DSC00653.

DSC00646.

DSC00655.

I decided to send it to Southbound Custom in Nashville, TN (and I'm glad I did). Steve gave me quite a surprise! Looking at the 2nd picture can any of you eagle eyes guess? (Hint... they're running it over to George Gruhn for confirmation)

When I get her home with all of the work done I'll post pics in a new thread in "Basses"

Needless to say I'm on pins and needles :)

14. It was blue at one point?

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Looks like an address, but for what I can't tell.

Do you have any more details?

16. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    um the filler over the humbucker route looks like ink print so on it?

is that car bondo in the body?

17. ExaltBass

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Nice try, :p but my first post states that I wanted to go back to the original Ocean Turquoise Metallic finish.

18. was it at one time modded for a mudbucker and a sheean-esque wiring?

19. ExaltBass

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    It was stamped by Pete's Guitar Repair in St. Paul. They did the fill in some sort of plastic wood on the wiring rout (which shrunk) for me when I bought it in '75.

20. ExaltBass

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I knew that when I bought it... keep trying.