review a song for me (please)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bill h, Apr 7, 2004.

1. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Tell me what you think of this.... I know there are some mistakes in it, we just finished on a Thursday and played on a Saturday.

It is just recorded from two mics in the back of a bar....lots of outside noise
    Bitter End
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Listening now, not that great. Kinda of bad Nirvana vibe.

Something must be done about cymbals, way to bright and trashy for me. Singer is pretty bad in my opinion.

After finishing the song it could be better in a lot of areas. These are the things I dont like: boring repetitive playing, bad singing, lyrics, boring drumming.

The sound issues probably are apparent because of the nature of how it was recorded but maybe try something different next time.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    To be fair, the file is very heavily compressed (64 kbps) so that would account for some of the aural displeasure Abark mentions.

You should cut out as much crowd as you can in the beginning, mainly because, after spending 1 minute listening to them, they stand out even more once you guys kick in.

I think this is a very poor live recording, you really can't hear things well enough to make any real critique, the singer sounds like he might be good in person, but his voice is not only squelched by the ambient noise, it's also destroyed by the compression.

I get a kind of "there's a band playing in the corner, but no one cares, not even the band" type of vibe from this recording :meh:

But I really can't say anything about the song or the playing, the recording quality is so shoddy that it wouldn't be fair.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The chorus needs more kick for the instruments. Take out some of the lows on the singer and kick the mids a tad. Bass is not layin such a foundation. The guitar needs to move a bit more during the verses. Not bad though. Probably a show I would want to go see.