Review: Aerodyne Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Jun 25, 2003.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Went to pick up my Stingray from the shop today, and while I waited in line for my bass, I picked one of these up and plugged into an Ampeg SVT-3PRO. The tone was somewhat lacking from the P/J combo, and honestly, almost ANYTHING sounds good through an SVT. You Ampeg guys know what I mean. The neck felt somewhat comfortable, just like any other jazz bass for the most part, but the body's [carved] 39" radius top just made playing feel wierd. First archtop instrument I didn't like. It's not like a Les Paul and flatten around the edges, but the entire top is arched. Just makes for a wierd feeling instrument. As far as the rest of the instrument, it felt like a jazz bass, maybe a little lighter because of the arch-top, but I was hardly impressed. The black chrome hardware seemed to be an attempt to catch up to Ibanez's 'cosmo black' and the controls were less than easy to figure out, but hey I'm used to an active three band equalizer. The stained rosewood fretboard looked like a cheap ebony ripoff, and the inlayless fingerboard was just blah. Personally, I'm not too much of a fan of finished headstocks either, and the black headstock just seemed to be hiding something. And to top it all off, the jazz bass without the pickguard just made me scratch my head.

In summary: WHAT THE HELL WAS FENDER THINKING? :bawl: I'll take my Ibanezes and Ernie Ball's thank you very much. :spit:
  2. I've been wondering about this bass for awhile since I see it advertised so much in GiGS magazine, a Japanese magazine that I get every month which covers the gear and techniques of various Japanese bands. Thanks for the review.

Just to let you know, they make an Aerodyne with a pickguard, but I'm wondering if the pickguard version is a Japan only thing, since all the US places that I see it in have only the non-pickguard version.
  3. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    this bass has been the subject of many threads the last couple of weeks,and the consensus was>"sound good,well made,weird body was uncomfortable":bassist: .i personally like them.if you want to know more about what others think, do a search.;)
  4. bill_emo

Apr 2, 2003
    everyone talks about looks, hows the sound? compard to say the p-specail. i mean, cammon it all comes down to the sound dosnt it?
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its no P special.

It doesnt have that agressive bite and high end snap I like to get from the P special.

Im guessing mainly due to the basswood body as opposed to alder or ash.

It did feel great though. Id buy it just for feel if I liked the sound a bit more.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I played the bass & I thought the bass played & sounded good especially in that price range. BTW, the bass is passive with no pre-amp. It has the Standard V/V/T layout as any Fender Jazz.
  7. A negative review. I like that.

The fact that you didn't OOOHHH and AAAHHH all over the place makes me believe you. This is what Talkbass is all about.

Thanks, tplyons.

Mike ;)
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey, I call 'em as I see 'em. But I will I am a bit biased. I HATE Fender. :D But I was impressed with two instruments of theirs I played. :spit:
  9. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i like the bass,IT SOUNDS KICK ARSE ! it has a lighter p-bass tone(compaired to a real p-bass)while sustaining a warm jazzy growl.and it looks like a jazz bass without a pick-gaurd.dont rely on me I LOVE FENDERS :D
  10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Picked this bass up the other day at the local Fender vendor. First off, this black finish is made for fingerprints. Worst bass I've ever seen for fingerprints. The 60 cycle hum was supah strong, too. Not the first place I'd spend my loot.
  11. When I picked it up it sounded more like a P bass then a jazz bass, so this isn't really a jazz bass. Compared with a Fender Jazz bass it sounded...thin, I dunno. It lacked the definition of tone that I prefer in Jazz basses, but I did like the P part, since I prefer Precision Specials to Jazz or Precision basses. But still, it didn't nail that tone either really.

Plus, it was all light and girly! :D
  12. I've had mine for a month and am pretty damn happy with it. It's at least as good as the MIA Jazz that my girlfriend has. For me the body shape is not a problem - I played the Ibenez they copped the body from* for 15 years. I also don't play with my bass over either my ribcage or my knees, which helps. The neck is one of the nicest I've ever played on a Fender (except for a couple of real 62' Precisions that I've played years ago). Real ebony would be nicer, but no one is going to put it on a bass of this price. The only real flaw has to be that the neck pocket has enough space for a business card to slip into on either side. I've been spoiled by my Lakland 55-94's airtight pocket (and consequent ultra-solid feel). It still plays like a dream, even though it lacks that degree of solidity. It is about a fifth the price of the Lakland after all. The sound is a little more hi-mid than a regular Pre when using the P pup soloed, while the J pup does the Jazz bridge thing fairly well. Neither one makes much noise on my bass. Usually I just use the the P pup, as the J pup thins the sound out and pretties it up too much for what I'm currently doing. It also sounds great through a EBS Multidrive into my SWR 350x/Euphonic Audio CxL 112 rig, as well as through the Eden WT-500/Eden 2x10 rig at the practice space. Doubtless it would sound sweet through an SVT too. I likely will get Lindy Fralins or something in the future, but for now I'm happy to work with the stock pups. A great bass, especially for the price. Oh yeah, and I really like the painted headstock too.

* That would be the 1985 Ibanez Roadstar II RB960, , the top of the line bolt on they made then. It was also black with white binding, though there was a version in cream with black binding. Great bass. Quite rare now as they were only made for a year or so. Unsurprisingly, it was made in the same factory (Fuji Gen Gakki) that makes the Aerodyne and other Japanese Fenders today.
  13. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Wow, I've never seen one. Anyone got a picture?

Ok, never mind, found one.
  14. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    I could'nt of said it better myelf,100% on the money.great description,i wanted to exemplify certain features but could'nt articulate the descriptions."ME LIKE P-BASS SOUND"'is probably what my review souns like.:meh: and as far as the money where can you get a bass like this for 600.00 $?,really the quality,craftsmanship,and great sound is like a 1000.00$ and up bass,(and yes its a better value than ESSEX:D ,YUK, YUK,)LOL !and the pocket size that was mentioned was not a commen thing,i played i think 4 of them,and maybe one did'nt have a perfect fit.but then again i was'nt looking for it either.GREAT BASS,GOOD PRICE=ME LIKEY ALOT:spit:
  15. Hmm. I grabbed the first one I saw. I doubted they were all this nice. Guess I was wrong. At least this one has little or no hum. Oddly, there's no shielding either that I can see. I had GAS for it as soon as I saw the catalog pix. I just had to have it to make a set with my Ibanez. Good thing it turned out to be a nice bass.
  16. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    What does gas mean ? i see it alot and have'nt a clue,please explain:confused:
  17. GAS -- aka G.A.S. aka Gear Acquisition Syndrome. See multiple posts for a description of various Causes and Symptoms.
  18. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I bought an Aerodyne in January as it was love at first sight! It replaced my ’79 Precision as my main axe. My only beef is the noise from the rear pickup. This is maddening as I rarely us the neck pick-up. It is a great feature as I occasionally; I’ll turn off the J bridge p/u and turn on the J neck p/u to get the P sound. I’m thinking of replacing the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan.

I have no regrets on the noise, as I love everything else about this bass.
  19. agreed. but that doesn't change the fact that i really enjoyed playing the one i played. i think the fact that i played it through a fender 400pro combo helped. both times i've played a 400pro, i've played fender basses through it, and it both times it sounded really incredible.

20. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    You couldn't figure out V/V/T Mr.3-band? ;)