1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Review Aguilar 500SC/GS212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jjmartone, Aug 30, 2008.

1. jjmartone

jjmartone

Feb 6, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    So I just bought this rig as my old Hartke 3500/Ampeg 2x10 just wasn't cutting it anymore. I needed something with more bottom and obviously more wattage - especially for the outdoor gigs. I played a show last night and thought I'd post a little bit about the Aguilar 500SC/GS212 and its performance for anyone curious about this rig.

The gig was with a pretty loud band - guitar (H&K tube head w/soldano 4x10), drums, keys/organ, and me on bass duties with my Fender Elite PJ. We played a lot of high energy classic rock (Cream, Beatles, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Neil Young, Tom Petty), 90's rock (Nirvana, 311, Incubus, Sublime, Toadies) and a good number of heavy hitting originals pretty much in the same style.

We played at a bar in the city that has a fairly big room with a high ceiling and a large wooden stage about one foot off the ground. There were upwards of 200 people standing out front playing beer pong and dancing :) A rowdy and dense crowd, perfect for testing out a new rig. All in all I was really very impressed. Fat vintage lows and plenty of punch. This amp is surprisingly warm and has everything that I love about Ampegs (the grit) but with some clarity and focus to match minus the tubes ie. very portable. At home this rig sounds awesome with the EQ flat and maybe a little boost in the bass but I found myself turning up the low/high mids as the night went on because of that damn wooden stage, but to the audience out front I'm sure it sounded fantastic. I should also mention the cabinet was much lighter than I expected and very easy to carry - huge plus right there. At the end of the night I had gain 12:00, master 11:00, treble 12:00, high mids 1:00, low mids 3:00, Bass 3:00. Definitely some rockin shyt:bassist:

I had another outdoors gig today but it was cancelled :( Tomorrow's gig is outside on the beach on top of a platform :O It will be an adventure for sure. I'll let you guys know how it stacks up. Anyways, so far so good!

2. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I'm glad it's working out for you Bro! I had the same rig about a month ago, though mine was the 2 channel AG500. I only got to play 1 gig with it and it was awesome! The only reason I got rid of it was because I could not resist the temptation of my current rig, which is a DB750/DB212. Aguilar rocks!

3. modulusan

modulusan

Sep 8, 2006
    IS THE SAME ONE SINGLE AGUILAR CAB 2X12 AND TWO 1X12??

4. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Congrats on the rig! I love those heads.

5. jjmartone

jjmartone

Feb 6, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, tonight's gig with the new Aguilar turned out great as predicted. Outside on a good sized wooden stage, medium volume, nothing too crazy. I found I had the best sound with everything flat except a little boost in lower mids around 1:00. Coupled with only the P pickups I had an awesome growl going on which really intensified when I dug in. Absolutely killer, there's nothing else to say! This rig is 100% what I've been looking for. I can't wait for tomorrow's gig!:hyper: