1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Review: Analogman AR20DL Analog Delay

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by opivy3056, Jun 22, 2007.

1. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Finally got one. First review, dont hate.

cost:$150
    Where: www.analogman.com

So, first of all...these things are kinda hard to get...sort of. Mike puts up a buy now button on the pedal's info page on his site whenever he gets a shipment in (which lately has been every 2-4 weeks). They go pretty quick too, there's a pretty high demand so expect them to sell out within 2 hours max.

Travel:
    The pedal arrived in a nice sturdy insulated box, no damage whatsoever. It came in 2 days. He shipped it really quickly.

Construction:
    Its a solid pedal. Nice glossy thick red finish and shiny metal knobs. All of the knobs turn very smoothly and dont feel cheap at all. It has 3 knobs total: Delay time, feedback, & Delay level. Pretty straight forward. You can use a standard boss style adapter to power it, or there's a little pop-open plate on the back where a 9 volt battery fits it.

The switch feels nice, comparable to a boss pedal, but it makes a "click" when you stomp it. You dont need to tap it nearly as hard as a boss to turn it on either, it activates with barely any pressure on the switch. Its nice! But I'm not used to it.

Sound:
    Wow, its warm. The delays are pretty dark sounding. My buddy said it nails the boss DM-2 sound (he had one). It gives the longer delays a really nice ambient sound. It distorts ever so slightly as well....amplifying the warm factor. At 12' o clock, the delayed signal is pretty loud, compared to other delay pedals. Oddly enough, it stands out better than a digital delay, even with darker repeats.

You can get about 300ms max out of the Delay time knob; long enough for most contemporary stuff.

As for the self-oscillation....its pretty mindblowing. Beyond about 3 o'clock on the feedback knob, the repeats start to run away, and they get loud FASTTTT so watch your speakers. It's perfect for UFO landings and creating other worldly chaos.

I've been using it in conjunction with a boss DD-20 to make lines ultra spacey sounding, and it works flawlessly.

Overall:
    The construction, sound and quickness of shipping far exceed the price I paid for this thing. At $150, this thing will give you that sweet, warm analog delay sound with insane oscillation in a solid box with a straightforward design and common power supply.

Let me know if I missed anything
    I'd take pics but my girl's out of town and she has the camera

-opivy

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    awesome great review. i've always been kinda interested in those pedals. thanks.

3. cool, I'm thinking of swapping my Ibanez AD-9 for one if I can catch it when they aren't sold out.

4. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    That AD-9 is hard to beat. I would be interested in hearing feedback on a bake-off between the AD-9 and the Analogman...

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021