Review: Analogman Chorus w/ Deep Mod, and Wet/Dry Blend Trim Pot Mod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Sep 30, 2005.

1. So I thought this was worth writing home about. I can’t be any more to the point other then saying that this must be the absolute best chorus pedal on the market, hands down. I’m completely in love with this pedal. Well all heard these typical descriptive words such as: Lush, Rich, ect…those words don’t come close to doing this pedal justice. A real marvel to listen to, and candy to ones ears.

Some of you know that I will do comparisons before I make a final decision on a product. Well I purchased the Analogman Chorus along with the MXR 134 Stereo Chorus. BTW, the MXR is an awesome chorus, if your not up to spending $282.00 on a chorus like me and others $169.00 and it’s a great chorus, true bypass, and lots of cool features. Close to the Analogman, but not quite there though.

I my A/B comparison, at first, I couldn’t really hear a difference. (It’s been years since I’ve had/used a chorus pedal) So at first, both sounded cool, and lush, rich and so forth. But about 30 minutes into the comparison the Analogman’s glory started to emerge.

The MXR 134 has more features, which some may like such as Bass, Treble, Intensity and so forth, but even tweaking all the knobs in all sorts of configurations, the Analogman always maintained a superior tone.

Over all, to describe the differences… the Analogman yielded a much thicker tone (Without the Deep switch engaged… I was trying to be as fair as possible) even still, a much thicker, much more fat effect. With the Deep switch engaged… - my hear stopped beating for a second. WOW… very beautiful, full and tasty chorus. Very, organic and natural sounding.

The MXR was also a gorgeous pedal that many will be happy with and I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to recommend that to someone. But by way of comparison to what I think must be the best, which is the Analogman, the MXR has a bit more of a sterile tone. Sterile as in, not a full and thick. I would even roll off the treble all the way, boost the bass knob and boost the intensity control, figuring the tone would get much thicker and lush, and while it did, to no avail when comparing to the Analogman Chorus (again, with deep switch NOT engaged)

I got the deep mod and also the wet/dry blend trim pot because I heard some comments that they wish the Analogman yielded a ‘wetter’ chorus. I tried it in 50/50 and it was beautiful…. Didn’t think it could get any better really. Then I boosted the blend to favor chorus say… 65/35 –70/30 ish, and the tone just blossomed. Completely gorgeous, robust tones!!

This is a keeper, and in my opinion, worth the $282.00 dollars.
  2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Nice review - but you're not helping, haha. I sold mine a while ago thinking that I don't use chorus very often and I still regret it.
  3. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Cool! I think I'm the guy who mentioned that I prefer a 'wetter' effect than I heard thru my Clone Chorus... very good to hear that the wet/dry pot makes a nice difference... sounds pretty ideal. Makes a great pedal even better, IMO.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    cool, glad you dig it. The mxr like you say is perfectly good, but IMO the Analogman has more mojo. FWIW, my mini clone with deep mod hardwired was $230
  5. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    David, how does the fatness of the analogman hold up in a band setting? Doesn't make it disappear into the mix? I'm wondering about the old problem of things that sound fabulous on their own not cutting thru, whatcha think?
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    has absolutely no problems IME
  7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Interesting to be sure :) Thanks for the review.

What was your waiting time for the ALman chorus?
  8. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Good job.

I'm looking forward to your compression shootout!
  9. Has anyone A/B'd their Clone Chorus against a regular old Small Clone?
  10. waiting time was nothing... like 2-3 days.

oh yeah, and Mike is a great guy! I had a million and 1 questions for him and he helped me all the way through!