Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Review: Behringer BX1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vacuumchild, Oct 28, 2002.

1. vacuumchild

vacuumchild

Aug 2, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    This amp is exactly what you'd guess from looking at it: A lower-price alternative to the Hartke Kickback 12. It's got the Kickback-style cabinet and the aluminum-cone driver. It's also got good tone and a clever "shape" control to adjust the tone. The "Dynamizer" input limiter helps give it a solid punch. Overall it seems well-built.

The "Ultrabass" feature, basically like an octave pedal, is marginally-useful effect. I think there are other effects (chorus perhaps) that are used more frequently and would have been better to have on-board.

Now for the bad news: I was quite happy with my new amp for a couple months, but it recently started having trouble. The power amp just fades away to nothing and the unit has to be powered off and on again to work. Too bad this happened after zZounds' 30-day return period because Behringer has an extremely limited service infrastructure in the USA. I will now have to ship this 50-pound item at my own cost to their service center and wait for about three weeks.

2. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    This is really strange that you would post this today. I had my eye on a Workingman 12 on Ebay, but the guy pulled the auction so I was looking at Hartke Kickback 1200's again. I came across the Behringer BX1200 in my Musicians Friend catalog that came in today and it looked like a Hartke knockoff. I was just about to post a message asking if anyone had any experience with the Behringer. Sounds like in comparing it to the Hartke you really do get what you pay for. Thanks for the informative post before I even asked!

3. I will back up Behringer up a little bit in saying that I haven't had any trouble so far using there product. I use it as a practice and small rehearsal/gig combo amp and it hasn't let me down yet. I use it around 5 to 6 days a week for at least a good hour and a half (minimum).

Very sorry to hear about your situation vacummchild. I never like to hear about gear that fails their owners.

As for the "Dynamizer", big whoop. I haven't seen a big difference that knocked me on my keister. It's better then most (in the price range) but then again I don't try out too many practice combo amps.

The ultrabass feature is something that I like for my hi mids and hi's. It isn't spectacular but it's kinda cool. The thing I LOVE about this amp though is that it has enough lines out on it to practically do anything to it. (More so then the hartke, I believe) That is what attracted me to it in the first place as I needed something for practice recording and making rough tapes of songs. Equalizer is four band and it does good. I don't like the basic three band that comes on most little combo amps.

The speaker isn't that bad, I think the hartke does edge it in that dept., but this thing has a lot of ummph with a 12" speaker and 120W.

All and all, I'm happy that I passed up the more expensive hartke for it and I'll testify that it has been reliable when I needed it.
    :) <---------end result

8 out of 10

-insighted

4. I'll second the response from Insighted02. I haven't had any troubles (yet) with my BX1200 either, however I do feel sympathy for someone who has. I too use mine mainly as a practice amp, also sometimes as a stage monitor, and occasionally as my main amp for small gigs. The Ultrabass feature is indeed a cool effect and I do use it frequently. Our keyboardist says "hey, that sounds like an upright" whenever I've used the Ultrabass function. So far, I haven't regretted the BX1200 purchase for my purposes. I play through an Ampeg B5R and 410 cab most of the time I'm in front of the public. The BX1200 doesn't compete with the Ampeg setup, but wasn't intended to.