Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Review: Berg 210/112 stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NOLA Bass, Jun 12, 2005.

1. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Well, here's my long overdue first revue of my new Bergantino HT210S and EX112S. I've had them for a month, but last night was my first chance to really give them a good test. I plan on running the rig with a QSC RMX1450 and Ashdown preamp, but the Ashdown preamp was damaged in shipping and is at the repair shop as we speak. I run the rig at practice with my GK 800RB, but it just didn't have the power to truly get a good feel for the cabs. These cabs definitely like power!
    REVIEW
    Where: We played at a pretty good size club last night that we play regularly, so I'm familiar with the room. Large wooden stage that can make the bass a little boomy and not cut through (always was a prob with my Ampeg cab w/ the horn off b/c it sounded bad w/ my Spectors). We're a metal tribute band with loud drummer and two guitarists with screaming Marshall stacks
    What: I borrowed my pals QSC RMX850 and Ampeg SVT Pro Preamp
    POSITIVES: The cabs sounded great. They really cut through the guitars onstage. I heard myself much better than in the past without killing everyone with low end. Clear, crisp, and full tone. Horns can be a problem with bright Spector basses strung with Blue Steel Stainless Steel strings. I ran the horn with just a slight cut and it really helped with clarity but didn't get too hissy or clicky. The other big positive was load in and out. These cabs are so portable it makes it a joy to move vs. large bulky cabs like 4-10"s.
    NEGATIVES: The only negative is a byproduct of what makes them so portable. They are very narrow in depth (about 11-12 inches deep). This makes them joy to carry. However, at our practice room on the thick carpet, they rocked back and forth a bit. When we set up at the club, my normal space has a little "give" in the stage, and when you stepped in front of the rig, it teetered back and forth, especially with a heavy power amp on top of it (note the feet on the Road Ready case just fit on top, so the front and back of the rack hang out over the cabs). We ended up moving it to a more stable location. It is a true consideration if you are going to stick a deep, heavy head on these cabs. I'm considering putting my rack next to the stack on something else (a 6 space Road Ready with the QSC 1450 and Ashdown pre and tuner/power conditioner is a real concern sitting on these cabs).
    OVERALL: :bassist: Incredible cabs, especially for the weight and portability. I wonder if you'd get a little more low end punch with the HT322 (or another all in one cab), but it is hard to say without a side by side comparison. To me, they have the tone while being much easier on the back. Why compromise low end with NEO speakers when you can get these. They are very worth the $$$. Also, JIm Bergantino is great. I emailed him about covers and he sent me numerous emails discussing his thoughts on different amp setups, etc. Wonderfully knowledgeable guy, who is really happy to take the time to talk with his customers. Also, I bought the cabs from Bass Northwest in Seattle, and I was really pleased with them. I'll definitely do business with them again.

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Nice review; great info. I also bought my Bergs (HT/EX112) from Bass Northwest and was 100% happy with them. :) I agree that the Berg cabs are worth the money!

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    NOLA Bass:

Thank you for the review! Well done. As for the cabs rocking back and forth, you may be able to alleviate this somewhat by placing them on two Auralex Gramma pads, sitting side by side and perpendicular to the cabs.

Just a thought.

Tom.

4. NOLA Bass

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Thanks for the idea. I had not thought of that. I may indeed give that a try to avoid problems with carpet, weak stages, unlevel floors, etc.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Great review!

Keep us posted when you get your rig altogether and get everything dialed in.

[I'd probably be putting my rig on its side on the floor, even with the Gramma's, but I do a minimal amount of tweaking on a gig (usually none after the first song or two).]

6. NOLA Bass

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I had the thought of putting the QSC in a 2 space and putting it on the side of the stack. Does anyone know if there is any reason the power amp should not be on its side? That way, I could have the lighter preamp on top in a shallower rack unit. Moving the setup would be a back saver as well.

7. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Try putting a piece of plywood (say, 12 inches larger in both dimensions of the cabs) under your cabinets. Using Grammas? Put them on top of the plywood.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I used to put my rack on its side, if I were on a small stage where I was too close to my cab to hear it well (at the time a Berg HT322 -- which I would remove the rear casters to tilt it back). I have a Dem 201S and a PLX1602.
    No problems encountered.

Good question though; maybe we should ask Bob Lee.

9. NOLA Bass

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Forgive my ignorance, but who is Bob Lee?

10. My first thought was Bobby Lee, steel guitarist, host of "Steel Guitar Forum" and formerly of Mesa Boogie....But that's probably not the right one. On second thought he was probably referring to Bob Lee, the bassist. But I don't know what that has to do with sideways power amps.

11. Bob Lee, QSC rep and TB member.

Mike

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Bingo!

13. NOLA Bass

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I sent Bob Lee of QSC a pm and he got right back to me! Here's his response in case anyone else is interested:

Hi Rob,

There's no problem at all with putting a power amp on its side or in any other convenient position, as long as air can flow through it (into the back and out the front) without any restrictions.

14. Congrats on a nice rig... we've all been waiting to hear about it. Berg gear is top notch like Jim Bergantino. I was a little unsure about the depth demension of the the S cabs too. Sounds like Tom Bowlus's idea is a good one, I love the Gramma Pads which was another recommendations way back by Jim Bergantino to me among other great ideas and concepts.

15. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm considering getting rid of my HT115 and getting the 210/112 stack. My question is how does the HT210s sound as a stand alone?