1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

REVIEW: Bill Nash Jazz (with Soundclips + Pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by -=DanAtkinson=-, Sep 4, 2008.

1. I just got my Bill Nash Jazz. I gotta say, I was not expecting this bass to be so good. I expected it to look good (which it does) but the tone is to die for. I've been through many, many Fenders over the years. None of them come close to the playability and tone of this thing.

Maybe it's the DiMarzio pickups. But I think something more is going on. Maybe the construction? Quality parts? Nitro paint? Hard to say. But the tone is definitely fatter than any Fender I've played.

Obviously it feels like a well-worn pair of jeans. The neck is fantastic. It looks a bit unrealistic with the extreme wear, but I love the feel. Now I know why Bill does his necks like this.

Here are the soundclips. Nothing fancy. Just some walks and runs to sample the tone across the fretboard:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. That bass sounds terrific, Dan. I played a Nash J (unplugged) at the Low End shop and it felt and sounded acoustically like a great bass. Next time I'm plugging one in.

Out of curiosity, what is your signal path on that demo track?

3. Very simple. Straight into my PC. I'm running the Ampeg SVX plugin in Cubase.

4. A certain Nash owner needs to update his profile

5. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    very good tone. Really.

6. Thanks. Yeah, it definitely surprised me. The low E is super tight, with tons of bottom. Not flabby at all.

The icing on the cake is that I got this $400 cheaper than a new Bill Nash. :bassist:

7. Wow. I really liked the sound on that recording. Nice looking axe as well.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I had a Nash 57-P-bass.
    Yes, the look great.
    And yes, the play and sound even better.

Sold it to buy a 1965 P-bass.
    And, yes, I will buy another.

Great bass for the money.

9. Except for a bit of reverb, it's very much the natural tone of the bass. In fact, it's 50% direct, 50% Ampeg SVX (with very little EQ adjustment).

10. Now I'm thinking about taking off the pickguard for a Jaco look. Is it sacrilege to do that with a fretted bass? :)

11. ESPplayer

ESPplayer

Nov 17, 2006
    Hey can you PM me a tab of what your playin at :16 and on? Thanks

12. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    It's a keeper. Do not, I repeat...do not remove pick guard.

13. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Sounds great! But how do you tell a used Nash from a new one? :bag:

Dan K.

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've got a Bill Nash P-Bass I'd do a review on if I could get it to play properly.

Congrats on a nice bass

15. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Ultra jazz pickups?

16. I think so. Must be. They have exposed poles. The Ultras are the only Dimarzios that look like that, as far as I know. I dig the sound.

17. I'll do my best! :)

18. Nice Licks - thing sounds Schweeet!! Congrats!

19. Update: So last night I crammed a piece of foam under the strings by the bridge (like the old foam mutes). I kinda like the tone. Opinions?

20. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Damn nice! Great tone and great playing!