1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

REVIEW: Boss RV-2 Digital Reverb

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sillyfabe, Jun 9, 2011.

1. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Hello there fellow TB'ers! I have today for your reading/listening pleasure a review on the Boss RV-2 Digital Reverb. This was Boss's first (and to my knowledge THE first reverb pedal in stomp-box form). Here is a link to some more info if need be...

BossArea - Boss RV-2 Digital Reverb

Here is my description: The pedal is built like a tank as all Boss pedals are. Its black and has cool white knobs. It has 4 knobs and will be explained from left to right.

http://www.zikinf.com/_gfx/matos/dyn/large/boss-digital-reverb-rv-2.jpg

E.Level: This controls how much reverb is present from no reverb to equal to the dry signal.

Pre EQ: This is a tone control that is before the reverb and can be a VERY useful tool. At noon its flat but lower and it gets very lo-fi (in a good way IMHO) and higher gets more trebly to the point of shrill but that can be good too!

Time: This adjusts the reverb time from 0.2-10 sec!

Mode: has 6 modes: room (8 meters deep), hall I (15 meters deep), hall II (30 meters deep), plate (ummm sounds amazing!), delay (short delay, CANNOT SET FEEDBACK delay time is pretty short even when maxed) and gated (reverb as long as a note is going, muted and the echo dies abruptly).

Well without further ado here are some clips!

First clip: effect, EQ and time at noon. clip goes clean bass, room, hall I, hall II, plate, delay, gate.

SoundClick artist: sillyfabe - page with MP3 music downloads

Second clip: effect, time at 3 o clock, EQ noon, mode 1-6.

Third clip: effect, EQ and time at 3 o clock, mode 1-6

Fourth clip: effect, time 3oclock, EQ at 9oclock, mode 1-6.

Well folks there is my review of what I consider the best reverb for me. If this is for you then try looking around and you can score one. If not then hope you enjoyed the review.

Notes: uses 130 mA and DOES NOT have a battery clip FYI.

If anyone wants any clips of this pedal with any combination of what I have then check my profile and let me know what you wanna hear! Also if anyone wants reviews on anything I have let me know and I'll see what I can....:bassist:

2. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    QUOTE:
    "Notes: uses 130 mA and DOES NOT have a battery clip FYI."

Are you saying this unit cannot be powered by internal battery?

3. sillyfabe

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    This is an old-school unit and they did NOT include a battery clip, cant place an external one...and besides as with ANY digital delay or reverb the battery would be eaten really fast.

4. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Can you make comparisons to the RV-5? What areas may have been changed? Would there be an advantage of one from the other?

5. sillyfabe

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I think that the RV-5 just sounded either too boomy or tinny no matter how I played with it but the modulation mode on it is awesome! The advantage the RV-5 has is that it's stereo in and out while the RV-2 is only out bit besides that I love my RV-2 plus I don't run in stereo

6. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    I've often thought that many pedal effects were designed w/ guitar players in mind ( poorer Bass frequency design) at lest this is what I felt superficially. Did they use the "battery space" for more room as per the schematic design?

At a used price what do you believe is fair. I've seen the RV-2 at $110 & that seems a bit high; yet the digital delay was similar priced. Boss's higher level pedal are mfg in japan & apparently use some high-end components and surface mounted devices / microboards. They pitch these as the equal of a rack mounted unit. What's your opinion?

7. sillyfabe

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Battery space? ***? All guitar pedals work with bass and sometimes it's good, bad and great sometimes with a blend. Most of my pedals are guitar pedals and either they sound great or I blend clean if need be. This pedal sounds great to me but can get muddy at extreme settings with really low notes. I paid 95.00 for mine, it's in great condition and sounds amazing. I wouldn't pay more than 110 bucks if it's in good condition. Haven't tried any rack reverbs as I stay away from rack stuff altogether.

8. tom_ric

tom_ric

Aug 14, 2009
    Israel
    great review, thanks. I had this pedal but I took it off after hearing the reverbs i get from my pitchfactor. Since I don't use reverb very much, I just could't justify haveing them both on my board. One cool trick i found is that if you insert a plug into the stereo out it double the delay time, even if you run in mono.

9. sillyfabe

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Thanks for the tip I'll try I when I get a chance and them add it to the review I need be.

10. scootron

scootron

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    What does it mean "can't place an external one"? I was going to wire a battery clip to a power plug and connect it to the external power supply port. Will this not work?

I did this when I wanted to go from 9V to 18V with my Fulltone Bass Drive, and didn't have an 18V wall wart. It worked great.

You can't do this with the Boss RV-2?

(I was sort of flipped out when my RV-2 arrived. I had no idea there was not an internal battery connection, and thought mine had something wrong with it. Silly me.)

11. sillyfabe

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Don't quote me but your idea seems to work but wouldn't you just use he power supply instead of killing batteries? Let me know of it works!

12. scootron

scootron

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    Will the standard Boss power supply work?

The battery rig wouldn't be practical except in those few occasions when I need my pedal board to be self-contained.

13. sillyfabe

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    The boss power supply and one spot work fine as I have both. I'm running it off the one spot with no issues, noise or artifacts. I know what you mean about self contained and this pedal is worth it to me. I'll post some clips either today or tomorrow with running some effects into it

14. scootron

scootron

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    Great, I just got mine, and haven't had a chance to use it yet. I gather from what you have written that I (accidentally) did a good thing by getting an MIJ RV-2. Yes?

15. sillyfabe

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    They were all MIJ but if you ask me then you are in for some reverb awesomeness! Have fun!

16. scootron

scootron

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    I'm looking forward to it.

But I was really asking about the RV-2 as compared to the Taiwanese RV-3. Do you prefer the former over the latter?

17. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    I just got the oldy @ a price I just couldn't turn down. I like it a lot. I really would like to see how it records from my mixer (I can run the "stereo" system via the mixer and that's a plus). We have a place that does pedals fast and loose but it wasn't easy to get ANY Boss Digital Reverb. The RV-5 was 89 used & seeing as how you tried them both (& I got the other for half of that) I couldn't resist. Those pedals are in demand!

18. sillyfabe

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I use to own a RV-3 and it sounded good on the verbs but the RV-2 is warmer and seems to just sound better to me. The verb/delay was cool but I have 2 delays to run into the RV-2 if need be. Overall the RV-3 is more versatile from a delay with verb standpoint but the RV-2 smokes it in regards to it's tone