1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Review: GHS Pressurewounds ~ Tangy Not Twangy

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Linnin, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    GHS PRESSUREWOUND

The Fourth Kind Of Electric Bass String

I had been wanting to try these strings ever since I found out about them, and boy howdy let me tell you what!

First, the nomenclature: M7200 - .044G/43.3 lbs. .062D/48.6 lbs. .084A/47.2 lbs. .106E/48 lbs. This string set gets its name from the process that the wrap wire is passed through compression rollers that presses it into an oval before it is wound on a hex core. This allows for a closer and smoother wrap than a regular roundwound string. The wrap wire is made of ‘Alloy 52’ which is 52% Iron and 48% Nickel. This Alloy 52 makes for a very strong magnetic field for the pickups to receive.

I installed the Pressurewounds on my 2012 Fender American Standard Jazz Bass with stock Custom Shop pickups and rosewood fretboard. I gave the strings a pretty good workout and they played in quite quickly at about 8 hours of playing time.

Tonally, Pressurewounds really sing with a unique voice. They’ve got some serious bottom meat going on with a good amount of solid attack that is almost flat like. Then there is the low mid growl. If you’ve ever heard a really big dog issue a seriously menacing warning growl, this is it. The growl doesn’t overpower the initial punch of the attack as many roundwounds do. In fact they arrive together in a quick 1-2 combination sonic punch-up.

Unlike upper midrange snarl that most roundwounds have, Pressurewounds bark. They are clear and forceful. When played aggressively with a pick the mids leap out cutting and edgy. When finger funked, the bootys be bumpin’. This will keep you sitting pretty in the mix.

The high end is where Pressurewounds shine as they are so smooooooth. No unmusical uber ringy-zingy wangy-twangy nonsense. That’s just so much noise. Pressurewounds make music with a crisp, clear, and well defined top end. If you pop a note it leaps out with plenty of snap. Pressurewounds are tangy not twangy. There is almost no string noise and glissandos become joyously musical again instead of the repulsive string screech of roundwounds. Finger noise is also greatly diminished.

Negatives are few. They are a bit stiff. So if flexibility is important to you, get the light set. I’ve found the .44 G to be too light for my tastes. Sounds fine but I’d like it to be heavier as it would be a better match for the rest of the medium set. I think the E would be better if it were also a bit heavier plus taper wound like the Big Core Bass set. That would be righteous.

I’ll be making ongoing comments as this string set ages.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    Pbassmanca, fritzk9, joebar and 17 others like this.
  2. e-flat

e-flat

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    This description really has my interest, as I've gradually lost the love for my DR Sunbeams due to my changing tastes.... I can't get down with the upper midrange and treble response of most rounds. I'm fully into tapes and flats these days, but would really love to try these out since I do like to play in a more aggressive finger or pick technique with some OD for some styles.

Sounds like the Medium Lites (44-102) might be a good fit for me, since I usually dig the tension of 45-100 Sunbeams.
    Thanks for the info!

Pbassmanca and Linnin like this.
  3. I'm really digging the ML7200 set as I like to keep each string between 40 and 45 lbs.

G 044 - 43.3 (lbs.)
    D 058 - 41.9
    A 080 - 44.6
    E 102 - 39.5

(Total 169.3 lbs.)

Keep in mind, though, that these Pressurewounds do feel stiffer due to the hex core, compared to the Sunbeams (round core).

Pbassmanca and e-flat like this.
  4. This is a very valid point. The 44G is definitely a better match for the ML set, while the M set calls for a 46G or 47G for better balance.

One thing I would be interested in trying out with the Pressurewound is to use the M set for down-tuning as they seems to retain their tension better than a typical set of rounds, as shown below: (As you can see, a slightly heavier Gb/F would make what's already good even better.)

GHS Pressurewound M7200 (Eb-standard):

Gb 044 - 38.6 (lbs.)
    Db 062 - 43.3
    Ab 084 - 42.0
    Eb 106 - 42.8

(Total 166.7 lbs.)

GHS Pressurewound M7200 (D-standard):

F 044 - 34.4 (lbs.)
    C 062 - 38.6
    G 084 - 37.4
    D 106 - 38.1 (Note: In comparison, D'Addario XL Nickels 120E is only 40.3 lbs. when tuned to D.)

(Total 148.5 lbs.)

5. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Let me add that the string-to-string balance of volume and tone is very even. The A string is exemplary and is most definitely one of the very best, if not the best that I have ever played.

Pbassmanca, nerkoids and e-flat like this.
  6. Hydron

Hydron

May 11, 2013
    Quebec
    I have M7200 and a ML7200 on the way.
    will use the M7200 for dropped tuning and ML for standard T.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Foam-mute them. Play with a pick. Fall hopelessly in love.

Seriously, try it!

Pbassmanca, Ianhin and Brio like this.
  8. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    I found them surprisingly bright (almost like roundwounds) at first but they soon broke in to a mellow darker slice of NICE.

joebar, Ianhin, nerkoids and 3 others like this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    15 hours of playing time, and the set is well settled in. Keeps tune very well. The highs seem undiminished to me and are still just as crisp as when first installed. Bottom punch has actually become more pronounced and percussive. Very Nice! Low mid growl continues to impress and makes for a beefy attack. I cannot tell if the E string has improved or I've just gotten used to it. Perhaps it's a bit of both. Either way I like it better now. This set gives every indication that it will stay this way for a long time, and that's quite alright with me! :thumbsup:

10. AstralBirth

AstralBirth

Feb 13, 2013
    So after 4 years of having pressurewounds settle in my Bass they still sound good and very very broken in (dead sounding). I really should get myself a new pair :roflmao:

vishalicious, Ur2funky and Linnin like this.
  11. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Yes, you really should treat yourself to a new set.

Ianhin and High ISO like this.
  12. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    I just A/B'd the Pressurewounds against a broken in set of D'Addario EXL170BT'S with 20-25 playing hours on them. The 170BT's really retain their highs very well and still sounded quite fresh. The .107 E of the D'Addario's is a good match for .106 E of the GHS Pressurewounds. I like them both, but the Pressurewound exhibited a stronger fundamental plus much more bottom meat. Low Mid growl is very similar with the Pressurewound being more sinister. High Mids are very different with GHS bark vs XL snarl. For clarity of attack it's the bark that bites with aggressive edgy mids. The XL snarl is a leading assault force to some very strong & cutting highs. Pressurewound top end is smooth and very clean; clear, and musical. The wrap is quite smooth with very little string noise and this is the Pressurewound's forte'.

Ianhin, nerkoids and michael_t like this.
  13. Smurf_Byte

Smurf_Byte

Aug 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    Just ordered a set from Jason this morning. It's been a while since I've played these, but I have not been digging the SS roundwounds on my maple necked P with the GZR pickup lately. I have to cut the tone knob way back to get a sound I like.

14. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    I have found a wide open tone control on a Fender Precision to do nothing but exacerbate all of the string; finger, and fret noise. I like to find a sweet spot between a quarter to half way open. Listen for the most meat. That's where you want to be.

SOUTH PAW, adivin and Smurf_Byte like this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Fantastic on a fretless. And also a great choice for a PBass IMO. :thumbsup:

woodyng2 and Linnin like this.
  16. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Fabulous on a Jazz too! ;)

17. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Gonna try these out on my 'bird shaped Spector soon :bassist:

40Hz likes this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I like my JBass just a little bit edgier than I do anything else I own. So on mine I use DR Pure Blues - a mellower than usual nickel round, But yes indeed, GHS Pressurewounds will work for almost anything IMO. They're great strings. Can't go wrong with a set of those.

Ianhin and Linnin like this.
  19. Hydron

Hydron

May 11, 2013
    Quebec
    I played with my band tonight and theses strings will stay on my basses.

bolophonic, Ianhin and Linnin like this.
  20. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    I would really like to hear everyone's opinions on GHS Pressurewounds, especially if you're a first time player like me. For those of you that keep them buying them, what is it that makes you keep coming back? Do you choose them over conventional roundwounds? Or do you keep a 'Pressurewound Bass'?

Pbassmanca likes this.