Review: Goodman Bass #2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jarrett, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
    This weekend I went to a local music store (Larry Morgan Music) that carries nice bass equipment to hear some new amps and cabs to possibly replace my old Trace Elliot and Eden 4x10 setup.

It's been a while since I've been in the bass room and checked all the basses, so I made a point to check some out before heading over to the amps and cabs. I was in there trying out the usual Warwicks, Alembics, Moduli, and a few other high end basses that I am well familiar with. None of them seemed any different than that the various models from these makers I've owned over the years. While hanging up one of the Alembics, I notice this no name 4-string bass hanging there. So I picked it up and its as light as a feather. Not sure I have ever felt such a light bass before. It played better than any of the others I tried. It felt really comfortable and familiar to me. I thought to myself that this a really nice feeling bass and starting thinking, "hmmm..." I finally had to remind myself I was just there to get an amp or cab, so I put the no name bass down.

So I grab a Warwick hanging on the wall that is somewhat similar to mine and start checking out amps. About that time another guy comes in and starts playing some other basses in the other room. First he play a nice Alembic and it sounded good. Then another. After going through a couple of high end Alembics, he picks up this no name and plugs it into the same Alembic preamp/power amp setup that he tried the other amps through. At the first sound, everyone in the room immediately perked up. MAN this thing is sounding awesome. It just had a tone that immediately caught the attention of everyone in the room. Really punchy and present with a nice ringing clarity. I asked the dealer what kind of bass it was and he told me it was one of the first from a new local builder named Goodman.

Turns out the guy playing the Goodman is an editor for a local music gear mag. He works it over for a while and continues to impress. As he is walking out he says to me, "You need to check out this bass..." I put down the Warwick and plugged in the Goodman in and WOW. Not only did it play awesome, it sounded killer in my hands as well. I put it down for just a second and another guy was all over it wanting to check out. I never buy anything on spur of the moment (esepcially some bass that has no name on it!) but there was just some vibe with this bass I didn't want to walk away from. I ended up walking out with the bass and the combo amp I was playing it through.

I get it home and start thinking I probably overreacted buying the bass and that my old Warwick was going to put it in its place and make me regret buying it. First I pulled out a Line 6 Variax I recently grabbed at GC. I start A/Bing the two basses and the Line 6 is murdered. I immediately packed the Variax up and I'm taking it back to GC tomorrow. So then I start A/B'ing with the Warwick thinking this is where the line will be drawn... uh oh. This thing sounds better than my old faithful, early 90's Warwick Streamer Stage I 5-string too! I've been playing this Warwick for 10 years or so now and have rarely played a bass that I like better and this freaking Goodman was doing it.

I ended up playing the new bass and combo at church on Sunday and everyone in the band commented how they liked this bass and amp better than my normal Warwick/Trace/Eden setup. Later on Sunday, I took the whole rig to a blues jam and it sounded great there as well.

I end up talking to the builder on the phone today only to find out he is a member of this forum as well. I told him I would start a new thread posting some of my thoughts on the bass. I know a little bit about the bass, but not all the specs. I'm hoping the builder will reply giving the specs because I would definitely like to know about them and the history of this cool bass. Here are some pics of it too. What do y'all think?
  2. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    conrats on the bass. it looks nice
  3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I like it! There are some basses where EMG's just sound killer. I want to know what that body wood is.

Enjoy. :)

4. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    It's simple, but it looks great - I think he must have gotten himself a very nice lightweight/resonant piece of black korina for the body :) I like it!
  5. Hey Jarrett, I'm glad your happy with the bass.

It's a black Korina body, and a one piece birdseye maple neck. I used Gotoh tuners and a Hipshot A-style bridge.

That piece of Korina is really amazing. Like Rusty said it's really resonant.

6. Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
    Thanks for the comments and info on the bass. I thought the Dunlop strap locks were a nice touch. I use those on all my basses and guitars, so it was nice not to have to buy a set with this bass.

smperry, I know what you mean. I'm usually not a big fan of the EMG sound, but there is something about this bass that just brings it all together. I guess its the resonance of that body, because the bass just feels really alive and organic sounding which is usually something I don't get from EMG-equipped basses.

Jamie it appears you have a knack for this. Good luck with your new line of basses. After owning Ken Smiths, Warwicks, Alembics, Moduli, and other complex basses over the years, your bass is definitely a breath of fresh air. Simple, toneful and cool. I plan on definitely checking out the 5-string you are working on as well :)
  7. Thanks! Thats a huge compliment. It's a good feeling to know that someone really enjoys my work that much.

I've found the EMG J and P style pickups to sound really good. Very natural sounding IMO. I think it's their DC series soapbars that give them the reputation of being sterile. The DC pups sound good but they are extremely detailed and "modern" sounding.
  8. Hey all,
    I HAD to chime in on this thread! :hyper:
    Jarrett, I played that bass before it was completely done at the last Dallas Bass Get-together. I have to tell you it completely knocked me for a loop! I enjoyed it the most out of all the basses that were there...and there were about 10-15 there!

Jamie was the nicest guy - very humble but his bass spoke for him! I love that black korina! That bass was extremely playable with a very even response all over the place. It really sounded great with those EMG pickups, and I am not a big EMG fan.

Jamie, I also want to keep a tab on your 5-string! I received your photo a couple days ago, but want to try it when it's done if possible.
  9. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Very nice bass. I like the simplicity.
  10. John,

I just started applying the finish last night. In a few days I'll level the frets, assemble it, and hook up the electronics.

Once I get the setup right I'll contact you and schedule a time for us to meet. So far it feels really good IMO.

I can't wait to play it!
  11. Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
    I went and dropped the Line 6 Variax back off at GC today after the Goodman sent it packing. I purposely took 30 minutes or so to try all of the basses in the same price range (most were higher) as my Goodman and none of them were close to as cool. I tried some more Warwicks, Spectors, Music Man, and a Schecter. None of them were close, imo.

Also, I wanted to do a sanity check with some other EMG-equipped basses. Historically I remember not liking them, but I love my EMG-equipped Goodman. Well I guess my memory is in tact because all of the other EMG-equipped basses up there sounded a bit sterile and not like my Goodman at all.

Jamie, I don't know what mojo you rubbed into this thing to make it sound so good, but I'm glad you did :D