1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Review: Joyo High Gain Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DosiYanarchy, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Hi everyone,

Once upon a time i was pretty active on the TB effects forum. You guys got me into effects and whilst i've not been on here much in the past few years I thought i'd share this with you as i couldnt find much on this pedal when searching.

What is it?
    So, the Joyo High Gain Distortion. Reputedly a clone of the of the old Marshall Shredmaster with a fixed bass response replacing the pot on the original.

Why would I want one?
    No dedicated bass control and no blend and its a cheap pedal that touts itself as "high gain", everything about this screams no for bass guitar BUT I was keen to try a Shredmaster circuit on bass since hearing that Alex James used one on Blur's Song 2. As a Brit who was around for the 90s, this was a big song for me. Also, its like £30. Why the hell not.

I currently own the Joyo AC Tone, American, British and two Voodoo Octaves (one i've modded) and especially enjoy them at their price range and would certainly consider upgrading to the pedals they are based on (I already own a few Tech 21 products).

How is it?
    Actually pretty great so far. I've only managed to play at bedroom levels and record direct in using a Tech 21 VT Bass but just as with the term "high gain distortion" and "Shredmaster" its not as high gain by modern standards as you would think, this is often a comment given to the original Shredmaster.

The Mid control is very powerful and the Treble control does a great job of taming some of the spikey top end at higher gain settings. With the MID control at 0, you've got a super scooped tone. I'm enjoying it between 9 o'clock and 12, depending on the gain control. The Treble is almost superfluous for my needs and i'm tending to keep it at minimum.

With the Gain rolled back all the way, you've actually got a really fat low gain overdrive with a great bass response. As the gain goes up, so does the treble content. So with lower gain you may want to use more MID and Treble and as the gain goes up, dial back the treble.

I'm finding that both low and medium gain sounds pretty useful.

Here's a demo i quickly put together
    Demo setup is Fender MIM Classic 50s P (Honey Blonde) -> Joyo High Gain Distortion -> Tech 21 VTBass v2 -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 -> Ableton

I start with the clean tone and refer back to it multiple times during the demo. Although i mention "low gain", it never really gets that low gain or clean. You can see my VT bass setting below as well as the Joyo settings i use at the end of the demo. Joyo.

2. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    Nice review.

3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Cool...at one point I was thinking of getting this pedal just out of curiosity. I only saw one youtube clip of this pedal demoed on bass and now that I have checked out your demo, I might get one. thanks for the review.