1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Review: Maple Fretless Neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chuck norriss, Aug 22, 2012.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    At $80 shipped, I couldn't resist.
    http://www.eyguitarmusic.com/NewNat...ole-diameter-1750mmfree-shipping-_p_1018.html

It's light. It has a truss rod. It's hard as a rock--I broke three screws trying to screw in my tuners. Maybe the screws were crap. Anyway you ought to drill first.
    It's pretty straight. I have small curve in mine--something I'll have to adjust. The nut is a little high but I'll scoop the slots out w/ a carving knife.
    It's completely glossy. Nice wood grain. Flats haven't damaged the finish yet. I don't intend to put rounds on it.
    It took 2 weeks to arrive from China. Shipping's free.

2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Yeah I know, I'm missing a string.

Attached Files:

3. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I don't always have windex

But when I do, I keep it by the book shelf

Couldn't resist. Sorry

4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Windex works really well for getting blood out of the carpet.

5. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    So maybe this is a dumb question, but why are necks usually rosewood instead of maple?

6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I should add the size &feel of the precision-style neck is similar to a contemporary P. Not a baseball bat, more to grab than a J. It's a fast neck as they say. I'm pleased with it & lately especially on fretless I prefer a P neck.
    Someone buy the J version.

7. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Chuck Norris doesn't clean dog crap off of his carpet. He scares the **** out of it.

8. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    It has been said rosewood is darker in sound. It's also been disproven here so whatever. This neck is bright in sound. Very bright. I can slap on it & it sounds like a fretted neck. Using flats.
    I got lucky w the grain.

Attached Files:

9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Maple fretless is a rare and awesome site. I'd love a 70's P with an unlined maple neck.

Maple isn't as popular on fretless because it requires a finish otherwise it starts to look really bad (just look at a vintage maple fingerboard with the clear worn off; looks dirty).

10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I'll play this one for a while we'll see if it gets ****ed up.

11. ChuckTrucks

ChuckTrucks

Jul 28, 2012
    That looks really nice!

12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    A few hours playing time on this board so far not a scratch in the finish. I thought slapping it would certainly degrade it but none so far.

13. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    The main reason for a finish on maple is because it is hygroscopic. So a finish is necessary to keep the wood stable against changes in humidity that cause swelling, warpage, etc. Not so with rosewood since the natural oils in the wood inhibit moisture uptake and loss. This happens at the cellular level of the wood, in particular in the cell walls. As humidity increases, the cell walls gain thickness as they absorb water - like a macaroni noodle. And similarly, as the moisture content drops, the cell walls get thinner. The natural oils in woods like rosewood guard the cell walls from gaining or losing moisture. That's why rosewood was so often used for an unfinished fingerboard.

Leo Fender was brilliant at finding the most economical way to produce his instruments. And where most builders were using rosewood or ebony for fingerboards, he knew there was an abundant supply of maple and it was a LOT cheaper. But he also knew it wasn't as stable if left unfinished. So he finished them, but he did it after the frets were installed because that was the most economical way to do it. Smart fella, that Leo.

14. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Both slabs.
    Reggie & build.
    I noticed their ebay price went up to $100 but site is still $80.
    I managed to get the neck straight & intonation where I like it. Very fast low action. E--D resonate very well. G needs to be raised a half turn.
    That is all.

Attached Files:

15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Agreed! My first bass was almost an early '70s natural P-Bass with fretless Maple neck. I found a fretted one in another town and bought it instead (it turned out to be an awful bass).

I wish EYPARTS would offer an unlined 5 string fretless neck with a Maple fingerboard (or any 5-string necks for that matter)!!!

16. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    You’ve got yourself a nice duo there. The fretless look awesome, I especially like the body color with the neck, makes it original. :bassist:

17. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Thanks but i switched it recently put it on a squier cv precision. Heres my chick w/ it

Attached Files:

18. Electrophonic

Electrophonic

Aug 11, 2010
    I recently bought a maple, vintage gloss neck from Eyparts.

I have to say: it's laughably good for just $80 plus shipping. Straight, frets are great, finish is excellent and plays like butter.

Fast shipping is a plus too.

19. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Right. Not bad at all--better than squier CV necks which I don't really like. But not as good as modern player or MIJ. I waited 2 weeks. Not fast.

20. Do I see silks extending over the nut?

image-403685391.

That may be the reason for the 'dark' sound. :eyebrow:

Precision101 likes this.