1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Review: Mono Vertigo Bass & Mono Tick

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tobibass, Jun 11, 2014.

1. tobibass

tobibass

Feb 29, 2008
    I've been using the Mono Vertigo Bass for a while now and just got the Mono Tick to go with it, so here's my opinion:

First of all, I don't really like hardcases. They're bulky, heavy and if you always take you bass out of the van on tour as I do, they're terribly difficult to move in small hotel rooms and elevators. While they offer good protection, a good padded gig bag will do the ob if the bass goes on top of the other gear in the van.
    Also, if you play internationally and use air travel, you always encounter the same problem: they won't let you take a hard case (or even a bigger gig bag like my protection racket) on the cabin. Small, light bags (i used to have a Warwick Rockbag Deluxe) are small enough to fit an overhead compartment, but don't really offer good protection if the lady behind you decides to squeeze her backpack in the compartment as well.
    Enter the Mono Vertigo - I was looking for a gig bag that would fit the bill (decent protection against light weight put on top and an occasional drop from a van), light weight and small footprint.
    While there a quite a few hardshell bags out there these days (already mentioned the protection racket - really good protection, but heavy and the zippers wouldn't last..), the Mono Vertigo isn't bigger then a regular soft-shell gig bag but the padding seems thicker. The "boot" (rubber padding at the foot of the bag) protects the crucial area in case of most drops. great idea!
    But here's the best part: as the name implies, the Vertigo opens vertically, so it's easy to pull the bass out while the bag stands against your body. A blessing in crowded jam sessions!
    There is a neck support that will hold the neck in place when you close the zipper. Genius idea!

The only downsides I found are the fact that the bag sits quite high on your shoulders (as most gig bags do unfortunately)..I'm 6 ft 3 and I can't pass a lot of doors or basement ceilings with the Vertigo on my back. But as I said, this is the case with most gig bags.
    Another is the front pocket: it looks well stylish but in my opinion is a bit too small (and not rectangular) so if you're used to bringing a few pedals and cables as well as a padded strap, you might find yourself running out of space here.
    This is why I got the Mono Guitar Tick - it straps onto the Vertigo via 3 plastic rings and velcro and stays in place very securely. It offers enough space for a small pedalboard (designed to fit the Pedaltrain Nano) , a tool bag, cables or even an iPad or a Class D amp.
    So now I can bring everything I need in one go and still have both hands free... plus at the airline check-in you still have only one piece of hand luggage!

The Mono Vertigo offers something unique in the crowded market of high-end gig bags: the top-loading design (which I don't want to ever miss again) and the option of combining it with an utility bag, so you can carry most your touring equipment (except your speaker cabinet) on your bag, which makes taking it to your hotel room every night a breeze. Well done, Mono!

Marial likes this.
  2. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The Vertigo is a killer gig bag IMHO. Like you, I love the vertical opening and the boot, but agree that the pocket could have been bigger. Which is why I've ordered the Tick to go with it. A couple of things I sort of miss though: Firstly, they could have included both the hidden pocket and the pocket for the shoulder straps that the standard M80 has, as neither of those would compromise the Vertigo design in any way. I also would have liked a feature that the Gruvgear Gigblade has, namely a way to store your guitar strap flat. Basses are heavy, and I use a fairly hefty Italia leather strap, which is a little too big to go in the standard pocket, and a little too thick to fold comfortably. As you say, the bag rides a little high. This could be solved by having an option for a single shoulder strap. Speaking of straps, I find that the adjustment buckles on the shoulder straps tend to slip a bit, and tend to need frequent readjustment.

Nothing is perfect - but I still think that the Vertigo is one of the best designed gig bags out there, built like a tank and with lots of good features. It's pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Marial likes this.
  3. JenM

JenM

May 19, 2014
    MONO ite
    Hey guys, thanks for the MONO love! And for the great suggestions. We are always looking for ways to improve and these types of constructive ideas mean a lot!

Marial likes this.
  4. theclashkid

theclashkid

Nov 3, 2012
    Another vote of confidence in this one. I had the doors of a tube train slam shut on my MTD on the way back from a gig in central London. I felt certain that the headstock would have had it, but I opened it up and couldn't see a scratch. Very well built piece of kit.

5. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The praise is well deserved. Glad to see that you listen to ideas and suggestions :)

6. Do you know if you can fit a thin (1.5") 3-ring binder in the pocket of the Vertigo?

Thanks.

7. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Yes, that should pose no problems. I can fit a ring binder like that, a 10' instrument cable and then some. The pocket on the Vertigo is reasonable in size, just not as big as the standard M80. There's also a small mesh pocket inside for small objects.

8. Thanks Jakob,

I ordered a Vertigo it is sitting home waiting for me.

Edit:

I got my Vertigo last week and used it twice this weekend, this thing is great, definitely a keeper. The only suggestions I would make is to separate the straps by 1" to avoid it pinching the back of the neck, pad the strap for the bass case to make it more comfortable with the heavy basses and perhaps a small pocket in the front. I ordered the Tick to be able to carry other items, but a small pocket would help as well.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  9. Danpirvine

Danpirvine

Jul 8, 2015
    SYDNEY
    Any one know what the D rings on the straps are for ?
    And the one on the top ?

I know about the three on the front for the tick

Thanks

10. This is the response from Mono's support:

"We put the one D-ring on the back of the case for hanging on a hook as in for a store display. The D-rings on the straps are because when traveling we find it can be handy to have places to hook things like keys or anything else you need to have handy. They are also perfect places for attaching our Tour Tag or any luggage tag!"

11. Danpirvine

Danpirvine

Jul 8, 2015
    SYDNEY
    Yeah thanks I got the same email from them

12. JenM

JenM

May 19, 2014
    MONO ite
    Haha - I thought it was weird to get almost the exact same email from two different people - I didn't realize it was coming from you guys :) Hey, please don't hesitate to hit us up whenever you have any questions about the MONO stuff - no matter how small. We are always working on the product and you may even get some new info!

13. Danpirvine

Danpirvine

Jul 8, 2015
    SYDNEY
    Impressive how an already great design company on the threads looking to see what the costumer needs ,wants

Thanks jen